Active Release Technique (A.R.T.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATwantingtobePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the clinic I work at a few of our therapists are certified in A.R.T. a soft tissue manual therapy technique. I was wondering if others use this manual therapy technique in their clinic or if they use something they find more effective? According to our therapists it is one of the top soft tissue techniques. I want to get certified in something like this at some point, but it is very expensive to get certified and stay certified in A.R.T. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone uses something similar and have found to be effective, but also more affordable?

Members don't see this ad.

At the clinic I work at a few of our therapists are certified in A.R.T. a soft tissue manual therapy technique. I was wondering if others use this manual therapy technique in their clinic or if they use something they find more effective? According to our therapists it is one of the top soft tissue techniques. I want to get certified in something like this at some point, but it is very expensive to get certified and stay certified in A.R.T. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone uses something similar and have found to be effective, but also more affordable?

Here's what I think might be a better question to ask:

Is there any data or research that seems to suggest that the outcomes using ART are better than those obtained with other soft-tissue techniques?If the answer is "no," (which I believe it is) then why pay that much?

ART certification is pricey for sure.

Does anyone use Graston or other IASTM techniques? Those Graston tools aren't cheap either. There are knock-off instruments out there-- anyone use/recommend any?

Members don't see this ad :)

Does anyone use Graston or other IASTM techniques? Those Graston tools aren't cheap either. There are knock-off instruments out there-- anyone use/recommend any?

Gua Sha tools or the edge seem like they would be viable alternatives and much less expensive.

I'm trained Level One Graston Technique. Nearly all of our license staff (PT, PTA, ATC) is trained at least Level One and some of the PT/PTA staff are certified Level 2. All of our PT clinics have at least one set of the instruments. Yes, they are quite expensive. I have "The Edge" tool linked above and while I do like having it, nothing beats the GT instruments IMO. I carry "The Edge" in my bag for days at the high school so I can utilize IASTM out there as well..

I have had a ton of success with the Graston Technique.. it's great for my athletes!

A review of the Graston Technique:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...hnique-inducing-microtrauma-with-instruments/

Their "Instrument Set" sells for $2,755... for 6 pieces of stainless steel.

Draw your own conclusions.

In fairness, the understanding of fascia/myofascia and related function is just getting underway. Yes, soft tissue treatments have been performed forever, but I'm talking about scientific investigation. So who knows, maybe a few decades of research will show that treating fascia is worthless. I don't think this will be the case, but without data it's hard to counter the criticism. Having said that, it's clear the author of your blog article knows little about fascia; she admits it herself. So I place little importance on her opinion, other than to point out that the research is in its infancy but we all knew that already.

As to the cost of the instruments, it does seem a little excessive. But these are patented instruments used in a copywrited clincial intervention. I'm sure the Graston folks are interested in protecting their turf. And, speaking of price gouging, let's look no further than drug patents to find myriad examples.

ART is by far superior than Graston or any other technique I have encountered. That said, spend the money on it is a wise investment. If not ART, invest in Shirley Sharmans books and courses and use exercise to get the desired outcome you are looking for. She doesn't use any soft tissue work.