ACP's diabetes guidelines: HbA1c 7-8% for most.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you change your practice?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

PlutoBoy

Sic transit gloria mundi
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hemoglobin A1c Targets for Glycemic Control With Pharmacologic Therapy for Nonpregnant Adults With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Guidance Statement Update From the American College of Physicians

In new guidance, the American College of Physicians (ACP) recommends a target HbA1c of 7% to 8% for most nonpregnant adults with type 2 diabetes.

ACP Guidance Statement on HbA | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians

Thoughts? The ADA and AACE stand by the current target <7% for most people.

I wonder what this will do to quality measures.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean it's always been clear a one size fits all goal doesn't make sense. The 92 yo with every complication from diabetes should be getting an A1c goal 2-3% higher than the 29 yo with no complications from dm2 and a long life ahead of him. Quality measures have nothing to do with quality care, unfortunately.

And for the record, for the 29 yo I'd recommend <6.5

Reactions: 1 user
I mean it's always been clear a one size fits all goal doesn't make sense. The 92 yo with every complication from diabetes should be getting an A1c goal 2-3% higher than the 29 yo with no complications from dm2 and a long life ahead of him. Quality measures have nothing to do with quality care, unfortunately.

And for the record, for the 29 yo I'd recommend <6.5

All groups (ACP and ADA/AACE) advocate for individualizing therapy. The difference is that the ACP is recommending a less intense treatment regiment and even calls for deescalation of therapy for patients with a HbA1c <6.5%, in general.

FWIW, I intend to follow the recommendations of the ADA.