ACP National Meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BD97

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone-

MSIII here- first time posting in a while. I was wondering if anyone 1) is planning on going to the upcoming ACP meeting in April in San Francisco or 2) has gone to this meeting in the past.

I just found out that I can get some $$ from my school to go to the conference and was wondering what people know about this meeting, particularly as it pertains to medical students. Do a lot of medical students attend? How are the workshops/presentations, etc? Is it a worthwhile experience for medical studnets to go?

Just lookin' for some info about this. Best of luck to the 4th years with the upcoming match. I'm sure you'll all do great.

Members don't see this ad.

Annual session is AWESOME, had a big deal to do with my choice to go into medicine. Quite a few students go and they have some decent student oriented meetings. Almost all the sessions are great... so many things to do and see.

Be sure to check out anything that Faith Fitzgerald is doing. She does a great Grand Rounds where a presenter tries to stump her on several tough diagnoses. It's fun to watch her humerously work her way through the differential.

Have a great time!

aksailuw said:
Annual session is AWESOME, had a big deal to do with my choice to go into medicine. Quite a few students go and they have some decent student oriented meetings. Almost all the sessions are great... so many things to do and see.

Be sure to check out anything that Faith Fitzgerald is doing. She does a great Grand Rounds where a presenter tries to stump her on several tough diagnoses. It's fun to watch her humerously work her way through the differential.

Have a great time!

I absolutely agree - I was there in 2001 (Atlanta) and 2002 (Philly) - the sessions during the day are only the intro for going out / partying with other students in the evenings!

Also, speaking of Faith Fitzgerald, she just wrote a great article in the Autumn 2004 Pharos, entitled "The workup" - it's hilarious!

I wish I had known about this during MSIII year -- go to acponline.org and there is a med student abstract competition if you're interested. There is a research category for basic science and a clinical vignette category. They fund 5 oral presentations for research and 5 oral presentations for vignettes (there are 5 unfunded posters for each as well). There are also opportunities to get involved politically as a student with ACP too -- good if you are interested in getting involved in administrative positions in medicine. Good luck -- hope you go into medicine!