Acls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many interns are really expected to be a main figure performing ACLS when someone codes?

How many interns are really in charge for ACLS?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on who gets to the code first. Where I rotated, a member of the nursing staff (usually someone with a lot of experience in codes) would already be there by the time we got the code page and would already have established themselves as being "in charge of the code". We basically just did whatever he/she delegated to us when we got there - chest compressions, etc.

Anyone with ACLS certification can run a code, it doesn't always have to be a doc. I know that docs are needed to intubate and pronounce the patient, at least that's how it was at the VA that I rotated at. Otherwise, the nurses were able to place the IVs, push the meds, do chest compressions, and bag the patients.

So, if you walk slowly enough after getting that code page, you can guarantee that as an intern you'll never be in charge of a code :D I might utilize that tactic a little when I'm starting out as one a month from now, but I know that I will eventually get to the point where I am confident enough in myself that I can walk into a code and call all the shots.

So, if you walk slowly enough after getting that code page, you can guarantee that as an intern you'll never be in charge of a code :D I might utilize that tactic a little when I'm starting out as one a month from now, but I know that I will eventually get to the point where I am confident enough in myself that I can walk into a code and call all the shots.

...Or you can just pull a J.D. and hide in the nearest supply closet :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't run a code by myself until the beginning of my PGY-2 year (in the SICU).

Again it depends. At our VA when I was in the ICU, I almost always I had my resident there with me or was there shortly after me. At my main hospital a patient decided to code during my admission H&P (they were already on the floor), so I ran that one for a little till everyone showed up. I have been left by my resident/fellow in the ICU to run them if other stuff (obviously very important) needs to get done and we are just swamped.

But lastly, we rotate at a private hospital and take call. There I ran, by myself, probably 15 codes. Now I did have CRNA's to intubate if needed, but I was the only MD there.