accepting job offer before cycle ends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisischelsea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently planning my "back up plan" in case I do not get into medical school this cycle. I have applied to a couple research fellowships and a few medical scribe positions.

Right now, I still haven't heard back from two med schools and I am on a waitlist on one school. (So basically, I think my chances are really slim...)

I was wondering what etiquette/what to do if I get accepted into a fellowship/job position. Do I accept immediately and tell them I MIGHT be going to medical school? Do I accept and not tell them anything about medical school? I just want to be respectful, but I also need to be sure that I am doing SOMETHING meaningful for the next two years.

Members don't see this ad.

Something about birds and bushes and hands.

I would be open about the possibility of you entering medical school, and give them a timeline. If they want you, they'll hire you. That scribe company will probably hire you regardless, since all their other students are jumping ship this summer.

Be respectful and professional in all your dealings.

Something about birds and bushes and hands.

I would be open about the possibility of you entering medical school, and give them a timeline. If they want you, they'll hire you. That scribe company will probably hire you regardless, since all their other students are jumping ship this summer.

Be respectful and professional in all your dealings.

I totally disagree. No one is going to want to hire you if you tell them there is a good chance you won't actually take the job.... Why would they waste their time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Comment to know other people's thoughts ...

This will probably not be a popular opinion, but in the work world you've got to look out for yourself. They know when they hire someone it may not work out...That's just how it goes sometimes. And technically for all you know you'll be staying for at least a year.

Apply and don't mention it. If you get accepted to school, respectfully explain that for personal or professional reasons this position isn't right for you anymore.

You can't totally put your life and source of income on hold for medical schools. Might as well just assume you're not getting in until you do.

I mean feel free to tell them about medical school but it's hard enough to get a job as it is.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't it be funny if med schools did the same thing?
Like... they said, "You're in!"
Then you like transplant your life, lease an apartment, and have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
Then you show up to orientation, and they're like "you are in...the waitlist! But we don't have a seat for you!"
Then you're like, "Oh, man, that's not fair! I wish you were more honest and professionally courteous about your dealings!"

I wish you were more honest and professionally courteous about your dealings.

I told my boss I was on a waitlist, but that it was pretty late in the cycle. He hired me... I didn't get in that year, so I guess that was good-ish (?) *sob*... anyway, be honest.

At this point in the cycle it's probably better to just go forward with the job and then you can leave if you happen to get in somewhere, unless you feel there is a good chance of receiving an acceptance. If you do go forward with this it won't be the most comfortable work situation. You won't be able to discuss your application with any coworkers and it will always feel like you're hiding a secret....I may know from experience...and if I did I wouldn't recommend it.

It's best to find someone to work for who is understanding and supportive of your goals. That's what I did the second time around and it was suchhhhh a better situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't it be funny if med schools did the same thing?
Like... they said, "You're in!"
Then you like transplant your life, lease an apartment, and have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
Then you show up to orientation, and they're like "you are in...the waitlist! But we don't have a seat for you!"
Then you're like, "Oh, man, that's not fair! I wish you were more honest and professionally courteous about your dealings!"

I wish you were more honest and professionally courteous about your dealings.

Don't think this is a good counter example. What if the fellowship had its funding cut or the # of doctors that the scribe company serves was halved? Neither entity would hesitate to tell you that they could no longer hire you and I'd be surprised if either was openly telling about this possibility during the interview process or immediately after being hired.
Ultimately, do what you feel comfortable with but, as mentioned above, you should be looking out for yourself first.
If it was me, I wouldn't mention it - if you do get in after being officially hired, apologize sincerely and tell them you thought you weren't getting in. They'd be bummed but I don't think anyone would hold it against you personally