Accepted to SCCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye2eye

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so SCCO is my first choice...i am going to be applying for 07.

I have read all the stats on the past entering classes and all...but i just wanted to actually hear it from someone who has gotten in...

you know of someone (or did you) that got in for 2006 or maybe 2005 (but not earlier than that...with a 3.2 overall and about 340 average OAT?

can that be done?

what about 3.2 and 350 OAT...
I just want to know if i will get a chance to go to SCCO...any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

my friend got into SCCO for 2006 with a 3.0 GPA and a 310 OAT...but he has a lot of extracurricular stuff and is working at an optometrist's office right now full time (he didn't appply right after graduating, so he took a year off but is working full time). hope that helps :)

My gpa was 3.3 and OAT TS/AA 330 (i can't remember). (c/o 2010)

relevant extracurriculars:
-vision screening for 9mos
-shadowed OMD and OD about 3 times each.

I think that's it. PM me if i can help you with more info or anything else.

P.S. Don't worry too much about your stats b/c i think i'm pretty close!

Members don't see this ad :)
SCCO was my first choice as well. I got in with a 2.9 science gpa. I did well on the OATs though, I forget the exact score I think avg of 340, with 380 physics and 360 math or something like that.

But I think what really helped me get in was my extracurricular activities, being involved in different school campus activites and clubs, working as an optometric assistant for over 3 years, as well as doing some volunteer work for different optometrists.

SCCO focuses pretty heavily on the interview process, so if you get invited in for an interview, chances are pretty high that you will get in if you have a good interview.

If you are worried about your chances, apply EARLY. I'm sure you know that it is rolling admissions, which means first ones to applied are considered first. I actually applied on the first day and I was told that my application was the first one they recieved from any male applicant!

anyways, if you have any other questions you can shoot me a PM.

argh...which goes to show you how random this all is. i had a 3.4 or 3.5 gpa and 350 OAT, have been wokring in optom offices for 1.5 years..and am on the waitlist!

linhle said:
argh...which goes to show you how random this all is. i had a 3.4 or 3.5 gpa and 350 OAT, have been wokring in optom offices for 1.5 years..and am on the waitlist!

When did you apply/interview? I have an interview this Wednesday, and I have about a 3.5 pre-req avg, w/ a 325 oat. I have 2 years working at optom offices (retail & private). I was waitlisted last year, and I even am reapplying this year.

I'm hoping for the best. G'luck to you, any other schools make offers?

Why do you think you guys were waitlisted? Did you guys have enough extracurriculars? Those stats seem pretty damn good to me.

hoosier1 said:
Why do you think you guys were waitlisted? Did you guys have enough extracurriculars? Those stats seem pretty damn good to me.

I did a lot of tutoring (1st-12th, inner city kids, immigrants). Nothing related to Opt. because I didn't decide on this career until after I graduated. But, I was hoping my work experience would suffice.

I'm pretty new here, but SCCO is my first choice too (for 2007.) I have a 3.55 GPA, haven't taken the OAT yet, but I have lots of extra-curricular activities (though none are optometry related.) Should I pursue something optometry-related next year? I have shadowed a bit, but mostly my CV is boosted with research (primary author on a botany paper), teaching anatomy and human dissection labs, and volunteer service. I'd appreciate some feedback, especially from those who have been there. . . Thanks,

Im looking to apply to SCCO next year as well.... I would suggest making sure your ready to apply early, which means talking to profs and od's and getting your reccomendations ready, as well as looking into any courses you might be lacking and taking those. IMO i would think your grades and OAT scores are fine, and should have no problem getting an interview...

Canadian26 said:
Im looking to apply to SCCO next year as well.... I would suggest making sure your ready to apply early, which means talking to profs and od's and getting your reccomendations ready, as well as looking into any courses you might be lacking and taking those. IMO i would think your grades and OAT scores are fine, and should have no problem getting an interview...

what is "early" for scco? I'm already planning on applying to SCO and Pacific and know what is early enough for them. Would having your application complete by early November(OK for SCO) be OK or is that too late? What about early January (OK for Pacific)? thanks

gsinccom said:
what is "early" for scco? I'm already planning on applying to SCO and Pacific and know what is early enough for them. Would having your application complete by early November(OK for SCO) be OK or is that too late? What about early January (OK for Pacific)? thanks

Looking back on the application process (which I am SOOOO glad to be done with) I would have used a week or two in the late summer to complete any and ALL applications I was going to do. I submitted my app to ICO in mid-September and was accepted by mid-November, but it was so stressful trying to deal with that and school at the same time. (I'm not sure if you are still in school...) I didn't get my app to Pacific until mid-December and was accepted mid-February. I procrastinated on getting my academic letter of reference, and that held me back on getting the Pacific app in. I think it is well worth it to give up a few weeks of your summer to have everything in and ready to go. Overall, the application process sucks, and the more organized and early you are, the easier the time you will have. As far as applying to Pacific in early January, in my opinion that is cutting it close. On Feb. 3rd, Pacific had already accepted around 80 students, so you are going to be up against much stiffer competition at that point versus Oct/Nov. I wouldn't want to take the chance of something getting lost, and not even finding out about it until Feb. Just my opinion though.... :cool:

thanks preety green eyes; mabye I should bump my goal up a month or two and have my OAT done, at the very latest, by the first week of December or better yet by mid November, instead of the first week of January. I have thought about doing my apps to the schools early (Septemberish) and then just having them wait till my OAT arrives but I'm not sure about that either. I know Pacific and SCO will interview you without an OAT score if everything else is stellar but I'm not sure about SCCO, Nova, SUNY, or MCO which are the other schools I'm considering. I almost think it'd be better to interview with a complete application then for them to be waiting on your OAT score.

Any thoughts from SCCO people on how early is early enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
gsinccom said:
Any thoughts from SCCO people on how early is early enough?

i think it depends on how fast they feel like getting back to you. personally, i submitted my app for SCCO during the last week of sept (i know lots of ppl that sent it in before i did), but was able to interview on their first interview day.

jcaco said:
i think it depends on how fast they feel like getting back to you. personally, i submitted my app for SCCO during the last week of sept (i know lots of ppl that sent it in before i did), but was able to interview on their first interview day.

thanks.

ok,

here is a scenario. I send my application in September and get my LORs and other materials there before November. I take my OAT November 13th and they get the results a week later. What % of the class would be full by the time I got an interview and acceptance. Lets say my OAT is 360 and my G.P.A. is 3.8. Also, How much is SCCO's deposit and is it refundable and by which date do you have to committ to them?

thoughts?

the great thing about scco is if you get an interview, the admissions folks feel you can do well at their school

i had lower stats than you, but i have LOTS of relevant experience (meaning if i had a dollar for everyone who worked in an od office but could not tell me what they learned...)

i applied early, they have rolling admissions, and was able to get an interview early (i went to the first interview day, midterms be darned!) and i was accepted before halloween. i chose a different school, but it was a really hard decision because scco ROCKS

so yes your grades count and your oats, but they are not the final piece (especially at scco)

good luck! and remember to make your application shine

eye2eye said:
Ok so SCCO is my first choice...i am going to be applying for 07.

I have read all the stats on the past entering classes and all...but i just wanted to actually hear it from someone who has gotten in...

you know of someone (or did you) that got in for 2006 or maybe 2005 (but not earlier than that...with a 3.2 overall and about 340 average OAT?

can that be done?

what about 3.2 and 350 OAT...
I just want to know if i will get a chance to go to SCCO...any ideas?

gsinccom said:
thanks.

ok,

here is a scenario. I send my application in September and get my LORs and other materials there before November. I take my OAT November 13th and they get the results a week later. What % of the class would be full by the time I got an interview and acceptance. Lets say my OAT is 360 and my G.P.A. is 3.8. Also, How much is SCCO's deposit and is it refundable and by which date do you have to committ to them?

thoughts?

That scenario was almost exactly like mine, except I sent in my application at the end of Oct (interviewed early Jan). Oh, and my stats were lower, too. SCCO's deposit is $500 within some weeks (2?) after your acceptance ($400 refundable if you change your mind) and 500 bucks more by June. Sorry, I don't know the stats on class interviews/acceptances. Good luck to you :)

I would agree with the idea that SCCO places a heavy emphasis on the interview. I got in this year with decent stats (3.7+ GPA, 330 OAT); however, if I had interviewed there last year (even early in the process), I would have been rejected for sure. I don't think they necessarily look for optometry experience (I only shadowed for maybe a work day and a half), although I'm sure it helps. IMO, I think they are mainly looking for someone that has had responsibilities that affected others. My advice would be to get a job/volunteer at a place where people rely on you to get their jobs done. This type of experience would be easy to highlight during the interview, and it will help you handle the pressure that they dish out to you.

I agree to some degree that SCCO does not heavily look at your academic strength. I feel that they look at more what kind of person you are, and how strongly you want to get into the optometry field. I only volunteered at the SCCO eye clinic in LA for about 9 months, and my GPA was not as good as some of you guys (but my OAT score was decent.) Anyway, I think they look at your work experiences too (but not necessarily be in the optometry field), and as long as you can tell them confidently why you pick optometry over something else (like dental/medical/research), I strongly believe that you will rock the interview. So, be yourself during the interview, and tell them everything straight from your heart (e.g., don't make up anything! ) Good luck guys who are going through the application/interview process, and congradulations to everyone who got accepted! and I can't wait to meet some of you at SCCO on Aug 22nd!!! :laugh:

Wow, this thread is really encouraging since my gpa is not very high and ssco is my 1st choice. My nerves are calmed for now. Thanks everyone

3 main points to applying to scco
1. apply early within the first couple months that they accept applications, this could help get you an interview sooner. usually scco fills up most of their seats by march.
2. get as much optometry experience. see number 3.
3. when you are interviewing, make sure you know what optometry is all about. i interviewed an applicant once and it really shows if you know what optometry is all about or if you have no clue.

btw, admissions is varied. not black or white criteria. in my opinion i would rank having quality experience as top choice. usually, that can back up any low grades like a couple of c's or b-'s. but, let me emphasize a couple. next, i would rank oat scores. i would say shoot for at least 340/ 350/ 360 if you're grades are low. and lastly, i would say that writing a great essay is key.

i would say that if you have at least a 2.7ish (B-) and you have excellent experiences, a good oat score, a good essay, you'll be considered for an interview.

I just got placed on the alternate list. I have a 3.7 in the pre-reqs. but about a 3.3 overall science (i do not have a science background, those sciences classes are for my GE in undegrad). I earned a 325 on my OATs. I have worked at a Lenscrafters for a year, and a private practice for about 7 months.

I applied last year and was placed on the alternate list (probably because I applied very late). This year, I reapplied earlier (in February) but still got waitlisted. I don't know what the school wants. I'm disappointed at myself for applying late, but at the same time, I thought I did everything the school wanted. I listened to the interviewing panel and the admission's rep's advice to take in private practice experience. All else was said to be good enough.

scco just comes down to the interview, if your stats are good and you have good experience but your interview was iffy. they will place you on the waitlist. thats what the dean told me after i interviewed. she also said if your interview is great you would get in and if not then your not likely to get accepted. I got waitlisted so i guess my interview didnt go as well as expected!

:confused:
JG777 said:
3 main points to applying to scco
1. apply early within the first couple months that they accept applications, this could help get you an interview sooner. usually scco fills up most of their seats by march.
2. get as much optometry experience. see number 3.
3. when you are interviewing, make sure you know what optometry is all about. i interviewed an applicant once and it really shows if you know what optometry is all about or if you have no clue.

btw, admissions is varied. not black or white criteria. in my opinion i would rank having quality experience as top choice. usually, that can back up any low grades like a couple of c's or b-'s. but, let me emphasize a couple. next, i would rank oat scores. i would say shoot for at least 340/ 350/ 360 if you're grades are low. and lastly, i would say that writing a great essay is key.

i would say that if you have at least a 2.7ish (B-) and you have excellent experiences, a good oat score, a good essay, you'll be considered for an interview.

THANKS everyone! all the replys are REALLY helpful.

I was wondering if having research experience is good. I would think as a bio major they would like to hear that you did research and etc. I dont know if it is a waste of my time or not? I am volunteering at a optometry place (time of aplication...it would be a year of experience) and work in a lab as an assistant. The lab reserach will impress SOMEONE right?

eye2eye said:

I was wondering if having research experience is good. I would think as a bio major they would like to hear that you did research and etc. I dont know if it is a waste of my time or not? I am volunteering at a optometry place (time of aplication...it would be a year of experience) and work in a lab as an assistant. The lab reserach will impress SOMEONE right?

IMO research is never a waste of time. I've been interviewing for internal committees (which provide a collective letter of recommend) and every person with whom I've interviewed has said that my research is my best stat. Granted, most of the students going through this committee are pre-med/dent, so pre-opt students may not benefit to the same degree. I still think, however, any school would value quality research experience. After all isn't that what they teach us in all of our first biology courses?

i was told by many admit people how impressive research is on optometry applications (mainly because so few do it)

just remeber that you have to be able to relate the skills you learned in the lab to the skills you need as an od (i always talked about how my lab experince helpd me to tie my science classes together, that being in charge of my own piece of the resaerch project taught me good time managment etc.)
so yes it does count - be sure you clearly state why in your admit essays

eye2eye said:

Hi,
I have an interview coming next week. Any tips will help for SCCO?
That is the only school I applied for. Do you think it is good to mention that or not? would they ask you that question?
How about the essay what is that all about?
one last thing, do you need to know disease and or specific optometry machines?
I am very nervous so pelease help me out!!

I will also be applying to SCCO... however, my OAT is 300 and my GPA is about 3.0. Im currently a Masters student with 3.3 gpa. I have plenty of experience. 2 years at a laser eye clinic (worked with ODs and MDs, surgical assistant, primary exams) also hours of optometry experience. I am also a TA (have taught biology and microbiology labs). I am also thinking for the optometry school in Oregon... are my chances at least good for an interview??

Hi,
I have an interview coming next week. Any tips will help for SCCO?
That is the only school I applied for. Do you think it is good to mention that or not? would they ask you that question?
How about the essay what is that all about?
one last thing, do you need to know disease and or specific optometry machines?
I am very nervous so pelease help me out!!

congrats on your interview. i heard that they ask questions about current legislation on optometry for california. so you might look into that. good luck

sight4soreyes:

It sounds like you have a lot of optometry experience and that is great! However, keep in mind that SCCO is a school that doesn't neccessarily focus on heavy opteomtry experience as do most other schools. I just decided to go into optometry a few months ago and have only shadowed one person for a few hours. I have tons of extacurriculars though (sports, music, scouting, volunteering). Probably way more than I need. When I talked to the admissions committeed, they didn't seem to care a rats behind about my lack of optometry experience. They just loved how I was able to be involved in a number of different things, though relatively unrelated to optometry. They just want you to have enough optometry experience so you know thats what you want to do.

Just make sure that with your awesome and massive amount of optometry eperience, you are balanced in other ways are well. "Balance" is what seems to impress this school the most. Make mention of all of these activites as well. I think you will do great though!