Accepted to PT program, what should I tell my job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT128128

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student and have been at my job for almost 3 years. I managed to get my shadowing hours and final prerequisites while working full time. No one at my company knows that I applied to PT programs. I recently heard back from a couple programs and got into my #1. The programs starts at the end of May. When do you think is appropriate to tell my company that I am going to be leaving in May? My boss has been hinting at a big promotion coming up during my annual review (end of March/beginning of April) and I will feel bad taking it knowing that I am 100% leaving the company in May.

Members don't see this ad.

The sooner, the better.

Reactions: 1 user
You can tell them today and potentially miss out on the raise, but you can also give them a 2 weeks notice and no one can hate you for it, and if they do, that's their problem. You could be a lot nicer and give a month long notice. I know I've been attached to my boss and co workers over and stuff, but a basic two weeks notice is respectful. They might want to know the logistics of why you're leaving, how long you've known, etc, but you don't have to tell them anything, really. It is up to you to tell them why/when you're leaving. You can tell them that you have private reasons of leaving, or wanting to change careers, etc.

The only thing to think about would be the potential raise that you would get for a month or two of working there until PT school, and if you want them as a reference for your career in the future somewhere.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a non traditional student and have been at my job for almost 3 years. I managed to get my shadowing hours and final prerequisites while working full time. No one at my company knows that I applied to PT programs. I recently heard back from a couple programs and got into my #1. The programs starts at the end of May. When do you think is appropriate to tell my company that I am going to be leaving in May? My boss has been hinting at a big promotion coming up during my annual review (end of March/beginning of April) and I will feel bad taking it knowing that I am 100% leaving the company in May.
I’m in your exact same position. Did all my shadowing using vacation days and took my classes in the evening/online. I got accepted to my number 1 and it starts end of May. Just had my review and they have all this new stuff planned for me this year. I feel bad because I want to stick it out until beginning of May so I can save up the most money before school but I feel like I’m wasting their time and money. But when it comes down to it, whether I’m leaving for school or another job or because I’m moving etc The end result is the same. I’m just going to be respectful, give my 2 weeks and that’s it. No need to go into long explanations. People come and go all the time it’s just the way of the world. And they understand that. They might be upset but that’s their problem not yours.