Accepted but want to defer the entrance. If I receive another acceptance from a waiting list later, can I still switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebrush

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an acceptance from a decent DO school, whose orientation is early June. Meanwhile, I am on the waiting list of another 2 MD schools which I want to wait for. I currently work on a research project which I feel is difficult to find the correct successor within 1 month before DO matriculation. It is a pretty meaningful project that I have been working for several years and expect to see outcomes before the end of this year. So I want to apply for deferment. My question: if I apply for deferment from that DO school for now, but later in this same cycle, get off the waiting list from another MD school which I want to attend more, is it ethical for me to ask for a withdrawal from the deferment later? My deferment inclination has nothing to do with where I enroll, but has something to do with the early orientation. I want to ask this possibility and want to know whether it is ethical. I'd appreciate it if you have more insight on this scenario.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think they would be inclined to grant you a deferment as that is more for health or family reasons. If you applied for medical school, they likely assume you were going to plan to end your activities accordingly before classes start.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not think they would be inclined to grant you a deferment as that is more for health or family reasons. If you applied for medical school, they likely assume you were going to plan to end your activities accordingly before classes start.
I agree. Trust your primary investigator to finish the work or find someone to help. This is not a typical reason to delay your start of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for your thoughts. I will take them seriously, and speed up working towards deciding it. I might still ask the school the possibilities there.

Status
Not open for further replies.