acceptance dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to med school recently, and while it's not quite my top choice, it's definitely in my top 3-4. I haven't heard much from others, except one interview and one waitlist.

But since I got the acceptance, I've gotten really psyched up about the school, to the extent that I no longer really care whether I get in elsewhere. Does anyone else feel this way, and if you are, are you continuing the process, still going to interviews, etc.? It's been a long process for me as this is my second year applying. Thanks for any advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the same way after I interviewed at my top choice. I wasn't even nervous in the subsequent interviews. My first acceptance though was not from my top choices, so I was (am) still looking forward to hearing from the rest. It's great you got accepted to one of your top choices. Now you won't get nervous or anxious anymore, but can still hope to get accepted by others. It's always good to have a few options.
Congrats!

I feel the same way! Now that I have 2 acceptances, one from a school that was not my top choice, but that I really loved, I find myself in a terrible quandry of whether I should cancel interviews or not. But at the same time, I don't think you really know how you will feel about a school until you interview there, and a few more acceptances wouldn't hurt. I plan on canceling the schools that I would not go to over my top acceptance, and going to interviews at schools that I think I might like-- so long as I can afford it. At least I will have a better ideas of which cities/hospitals I like and don't like when the residency process comes.

Plus, you can look at it this way: I much rather be in the acceptance quandry, than in the I-have-no-interviews-or-acceptances quandry, so thank God for that!

Members don't see this ad :)
i would make sure to go to any interviews if i thought there might be a chance of wanting to go to a certain school, especially if it is nearby and would only cost you a tank of gas or something. if you have to fly across the country, that might be something else to consider, but the way i look at it is you've done all this work for the last 4 years so you might as well enjoy all your interviews and visit some cities. besides, a 200 dollar plane ticket really isn't that much in the long run.

The way I knew a school that accepted me was the right one for me was that I stopped caring about the process for other schools I had yet to hear back from.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I got accepted to my state school, which is a good school, but have applied some other big schools as well. I got really excited about it and didn't really want to go on any more interviews. But I had already scheduled an interview with Wash U, and since I like Saint Louis, I decided to go ahead with that interview. It was a really good choice because it confirmed my original positive feelings about my state school. Now I'm even more excited about my acceptance and more sure of my choice to go there. I would definitely finish your interviews that way you'll have no regrets or questions in the future about whatever choice you make. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Originally posted by FutureERDoc
Plus, you can look at it this way: I much rather be in the acceptance quandry, than in the I-have-no-interviews-or-acceptances quandry, so thank God for that!

Being in both quandries, I certainly concur. Thanks for the encouragement. :)