Accelerated FP ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had the choice to an Accelerated 3 year fast track program with emphasis in Family Medicine, would you guys/gals go for it or a traditional 4 year?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had the choice to an Accelerated 3 year fast track program with emphasis in Family Medicine, would you guys/gals go for it or a traditional 4 year?

I'm not sure I understand...FM residency is three years already. :confused:

I think he means 3 years of medical school.

http://www.unmc.edu/Community/ruralmeded/short_and_sweet_accelerated.htm

EDIT:
Better link from the same site:
http://www.unmc.edu/Community/ruralmeded/model/gradu/accelerated.htm

I would have definitely considered this if I had known such a thing existed:
One accelerated program out of these 12, took a different route so that it could focus on the rural needs of its state. The Nebraska Accelerated Training Program has 3 years medical school, 3 years residency, and a 1 year fellowship emphasizing procedures. This program in Nebraska is different from the 3-3 programs in 11 other academic locations. It focuses on rural preparation.

Members don't see this ad :)

If I was 100% sure that I wanted Family Medicine and nothing else, then I might decide to go accelerated. But that's a tough decision to be able to make as a pre-med. I think the accelerated Family Med curriculums are best suited for older, non-traditional students, who know what they want and don't have as many productive years ahead of them to pay off student loans. If you are in your twenties, then just go the traditional 4 year route and keep your options open. You'll have plenty of time to pay off the extra year of tuition regardless of what field you go into.

Yup, I meant 3 years medical school with 3 years FM Residency.

Yup, I meant 3 years medical school with 3 years FM Residency.

Ah...gotcha.

I probably wouldn't have done it. I didn't make up my mind 100% about FM until fourth year. I was torn between FM, IM, FM/IM, and EM.

Life is too short to never be a 4th year medical student.

Tempting but in all honesty.... you need the subspecialty exposure of 4th year.

PCSP students immediately will begin core clinical rotations at carefully selected hospitals and physician offices. The college will designate Millcreek Community Hospital, St. Vincent Health Center, and Hamot Medical Center in Erie, PA, along with Meadville (PA) Medical Center and UHHS-Richmond Heights, OH, as the core rotation sites for PCSP students.

Medical students who enter PCSP in October 2007 will graduate with a Doctor of Osteopathic Degree in 2010. Graduates will continue their post-graduate education through a three-year residency program at selected hospitals.

Question: What is the point of this?
Answer: To be a farm system where the graduates have no choice but to be a resident at one of the local Family Medicine Residencies.

Go 4 years, see lots of programs, pick from any one in the country, not 4 around Erie. Enjoy 4th year of medical school, the home stretch is pretty sweet.

Question: What is the point of this?
Answer: To be a farm system where the graduates have no choice but to be a resident at one of the local Family Medicine Residencies.

Go 4 years, see lots of programs, pick from any one in the country, not 4 around Erie. Enjoy 4th year of medical school, the home stretch is pretty sweet.

That is a true statement, thanks!:thumbup: