academic vs community, jobs, and am I competitive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year currently rotating through the PMNR program based at a large community hospital and I'm interested in doing PMNR for residency.

In terms of jobs, is there a real advantage in coming from an academic program vs a community one? I'm currently in Pittsburgh so there's either Univ of Pittsburgh or Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh.

I was told that there's a possiblity that EMGs might be a separate fellowship in the future. Do you think being from a community program might put me at a disadvantage in terms of getting fellowships? whether it be in pain or say, EMG if it does become a fellowship.

And in terms of jobs, is it true that most are only in the midwestern states? I'm looking to stay northeast or west coast (California). I'm guessing it will also depend on what program I will come out of right?

Finally, since some of you have already applied and interviewed, I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on how competitive I will be as a candidate. You can be honest. Reason because I'm having a difficult time deciding on where to apply nationwide and I would seriously like some advice. My cumulative GPA from medschool is roughly 3.4 and my COMLEX-I was 548 and 82. I'm also member of the SigmaSigmaPhi DO honor society. I feel that my only strong points are some publications back in undergrad that are PMnR related, published in Stroke and Archives of PMnR. I'm trying my best to study for the COMLEX-II in hoping to boost my board scores since my first one isn't that great I know. I really want to get into a good program and I'm quite nervous about this whole application process.
Thanks for all your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

So, it's "PM&R" not "PMNR". I think most programs are academic I dont' really know of any community programs? In terms of the 2 programs you are talking about, I am only vaguely familiar with UPitt. They do have a reputable program.

In terms of EMG becoming a fellowship - it is a fellowship - you can choose to do that if you want to but most residents get more than enough exposure during residency to be able to sit for the boards and do EMGs without doing a fellowship.

Jobs are everywhere - things are going to be very different when you look for a job than now it's hard to predict. If you want to get a "feel" for jobs - can look in the Archives or any other PM&R journal and look at the ads for jobs.

I dont really know about comlex scores so I'll defer that question to the DO SDNers.

I heard an attending who recently graduated from Sinai Hospital in Baltimore call that program more "community-based". I am not sure if that term was being used in the proper context and whether or not it was just in comparison to Hopkins or programs in general. That's just what comes to mind.

As far as jobs, one of my residents recently said he found a lot more job offerings on various internet search engines compared to the small amount of postings on the Archives, etc. I haven't looked around, but perhaps that may be a better way to roughly gauge what the job markets are like.

axm397 said:
So, it's "PM&R" not "PMNR". I think most programs are academic I dont' really know of any community programs? In terms of the 2 programs you are talking about, I am only vaguely familiar with UPitt. They do have a reputable program.

In terms of EMG becoming a fellowship - it is a fellowship - you can choose to do that if you want to but most residents get more than enough exposure during residency to be able to sit for the boards and do EMGs without doing a fellowship.

Jobs are everywhere - things are going to be very different when you look for a job than now it's hard to predict. If you want to get a "feel" for jobs - can look in the Archives or any other PM&R journal and look at the ads for jobs.

I dont really know about comlex scores so I'll defer that question to the DO SDNers.

Fooman said:
And in terms of jobs, is it true that most are only in the midwestern states? I'm looking to stay northeast or west coast (California). I'm guessing it will also depend on what program I will come out of right?

You can always go work for Kaiser. :laugh:

Oh yeah, do not write "PMNR" on your ERAS application.