Academic Update: how important is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coltsfan2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if schools really look to see if you did Academic Update (and on time I might add).

I've had a really hard time with PTCAS. I had my Fall 2010 transcript sent around the 14th of December, and it still has not shown that they have received it. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and if not, do schools really look at Academic Update when choosing their future students?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if schools really look to see if you did Academic Update (and on time I might add).

I've had a really hard time with PTCAS. I had my Fall 2010 transcript sent around the 14th of December, and it still has not shown that they have received it. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and if not, do schools really look at Academic Update when choosing their future students?

Re-ranking applicants if your GPA gets higher is one of the reasons why the AU is important. Thats weird, I sent mine on December 13, and mine has already showed up on PTCAS and have recalculated my GPA.

UPDATE: after emailing PTCAS and asking them about why it hasn't been received, it appeared later that day under my transcripts and said it had been received January 1, 2011. (Take that how you want to take it)

Now my next question is how long does it take once they receive the transcript to recalculate the new GPA? (if it was received on the 1st)

Members don't see this ad :)
Now my next question is how long does it take once they receive the transcript to recalculate the new GPA? (if it was received on the 1st)
Like I said above, I sent my transcripts on 12/13 and by 12/21 they had received it and on 12/22 I received an email stating that my GPA was recalculated.

Well my grades weren't even posted and recorded until 26th. Then my transcript would not be processed by my university until Jan 2. when they opened and have a standard processing time. I probably won't have my transcript received until close to that deadline. Somewhat of a shame IMO, not everyone's school allows for early December grad updates, especially those on semesters. I should be fine, but the process doesn't take these logistical differences into account (not just forgetful or whatever).

Ah well, more reason why the process is marginally flawed. Also, IMO schools shouldn't have to take until near March to send the first round of acceptances. Then start in May or June a few months later. One thing about the med/ dental school process is that they have their stuff together and most decisions are made much earlier than some PT schools I've seen.

Then again, all these places are different, going through this process I can say there's a huge amount of variability in making decisions from school to school.

I had my transcripts sent on dec 20th and PTCAS still has not received them. with the deadline coming up do you guys think I need to send another transcript or just assume it will get there eventually?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Yup same here...mine was sent on December 21st and PTCAs still have not received them. I called my school to make sure they sent it and they did and they said they would send another one just in case. i think i may call PTCAs tomorrow and see whats up...

I had my transcripts sent on dec 20th and PTCAS still has not received them. with the deadline coming up do you guys think I need to send another transcript or just assume it will get there eventually?
Has anyone else had this problem?

I would either call or e-mail. It's what I did. I e-mailed Friday morning because mine had been sent weeks ago, and they said that it had not yet been received, and I simply asked them if I needed to send another copy. HOWEVER, they looked and found it. They had gotten it on Jan. 1, but they just hadn't posted it on the "STATUS" section yet. After my email and within 30 minutes, they had it posted on my PTCAS.

Thanks for the info. I e-mailed PTCAS on friday and they have not answered me and my account still says they havent recieved my transcript yet. I called my school and they for sure sent it so hopefully it was just backed up from the holidays and theyll find it soon!