Academic Perception

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landy1130

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Based on my own research and the information provided by SDN/AAMC I feel like I have a pretty good understanding on how an individual w/o graduate or post-bac work is viewed from an academic standpoint. However, I am struggling to figure out how my academic history may be perceived and am curious what others' general thoughts are. Stats below.

3.22 cGPA 3.24 sGPA (2015), 4.0 SMP (2019)
500 (2015) --> 507 (2017) --> 517 MCAT (2019)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

Based on my own research and the information provided by SDN/AAMC I feel like I have a pretty good understanding on how an individual w/o graduate or post-bac work is viewed from an academic standpoint. However, I am struggling to figure out how my academic history may be perceived and am curious what others' general thoughts are. Stats below.

The SMP and MCAT improving drastically indicate you’ve got your **** together. If you are URM, apply wherever. If you are not, Dartmouth/Einstein level schools should be a predominant feature of your application but you should also apply to a lot of mid/low mid programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

Your stat progression is very similar to mine, except better. I’m URM and have had a pretty great cycle so far at what would be considered mid-tier schools. I didn’t apply to many top tier ones (three total) and I’m still waiting to hear back from most. If your EC’s are above average, I would say apply broadly and construct a great narrative for the best results.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

On the surface, it looks like you have successfully reinvented yourself.

There are MD (and all DO) schools who will reward reinvention.

Reactions: 2 users