Academic LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bfrost827

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I should do for my academic LOR. I'm almost 3 years out of undergrad. My advisor for my major who I knew pretty well and took five courses with passed away a few months ago, so unfortunately I won't be able to ask him. I've been working on required classes since January, but obviously half the semester has been online at this point. I'll have the same professor for one of the courses again this summer (online). I've done really well in his course and I participated in class a considerable amount. Would it be weird to reach out to him for a LOR even though I've only interacted with him face to face for two months? Did anyone else struggle with the academic LOR or have any advice when you've been out of undergrad awhile?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked a professor from my academic department that I had for two or three classes. I also worked at a health club throughout college where he was a member. Since he saw me in multiple positions in the community, I asked him for a reference my first cycle. Since I've graduated, I've contacted him and updated him with my application status, what I've been doing since graduating and tentative dates for my application etc. I asked if he would continue to be my academic reference for this next cycle and he agreed. I think you would be fine to reach out to your online professor. I also sent my essay/resume/interest letters in an email to the individuals writing reference letters, so they knew my story more in depth. If you do this, I feel that you could get a decent LOR!

I'm trying to figure out what I should do for my academic LOR. I'm almost 3 years out of undergrad. My advisor for my major who I knew pretty well and took five courses with passed away a few months ago, so unfortunately I won't be able to ask him. I've been working on required classes since January, but obviously half the semester has been online at this point. I'll have the same professor for one of the courses again this summer (online). I've done really well in his course and I participated in class a considerable amount. Would it be weird to reach out to him for a LOR even though I've only interacted with him face to face for two months? Did anyone else struggle with the academic LOR or have any advice when you've been out of undergrad awhile?
I think you should reach out to him, and it won't be weird, especially if you explain the situation. I was also a few years out of undergrad when I applied, and I also got a LOR from a professor from a prerequisite class. It was a short summer class, so I only knew her for a few weeks, but I was a strong student, and we developed a good rapport, and she was happy to do it.
I also think schools are going to be extra lenient with LORs this cycle since they know many students will have trouble getting them. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, trust me, profs are use to this and writing letters of rec are part of the job. And contrary to what many think, unless you are a borderline candidate, and even then, these LORs don't count for much. LORs and interviews are more about looking for red flags than anything else. Admissions committees are use to seeing generic "he/she was in this class and did well" sort of letters. No big deal.

Thanks for the input, guys! It's definitely given me some peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user