Academic Enhancer Program - GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoda8000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I currently work as one of the Supplemental Faculty for this year with the GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate Program. We wanted to make a post/thread on here to give information about our program and answer any questions about the program if anyone was interested in applying.

Our goal: Assist students in gaining acceptance into professional health care universities

Who we are: Joint faculty from George Mason University and Georgetown University

Where we are: Our campus is located in Manassus, VA at the Science and Technology Campus of George Mason University

What we do: We are a one year graduate program that offers biomedical science courses to students. Students will receive a Master's certificate after the program and have the option to continue their education at Georgetown University for one semester to receive a Master's degree in Physiology.

Who we are for: Pre-meds/pre-dent/pre-vet students who are interested in boosting their undergraduate GPAs in the hopes of getting into a professional health school. Our average applicant into the program comes in with a 3.18 undergraduate GPA. The average GPA for students completing the certificate program is ~3.5

Outcomes: We have numerous students who have gotten into MD, DO, and off-shore schools. However, we don't have solid numbers on student outcomes but are currently working on getting hard data for everyone.

If you have questions about the program feel free to contact us: https://georgesquared.gmu.edu/contact/
You can also check out our website: https://georgesquared.gmu.edu/

Or post here in this thread and I will do my best to answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

I currently work as one of the Supplemental Faculty for this year with the GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate Program. We wanted to make a post/thread on here to give information about our program and answer any questions about the program if anyone was interested in applying.

Our goal: Assist students in gaining acceptance into professional health care universities

Who we are: Joint faculty from George Mason University and Georgetown University

Where we are: Our campus is located in Manassus, VA at the Science and Technology Campus of George Mason University

What we do: We are a one year graduate program that offers biomedical science courses to students. Students will receive a Master's certificate after the program and have the option to continue their education at Georgetown University for one semester to receive a Master's degree in Physiology.

Who we are for: Pre-meds/pre-dent/pre-vet students who are interested in boosting their undergraduate GPAs in the hopes of getting into a professional health school. Our average applicant into the program comes in with a 3.18 undergraduate GPA. The average GPA for students completing the certificate program is ~3.5

Outcomes: We have numerous students who have gotten into MD, DO, and off-shore schools. However, we don't have solid numbers on student outcomes but are currently working on getting hard data for everyone.

If you have questions about the program feel free to contact us: https://georgesquared.gmu.edu/contact/

Hello! Thanks so much for creating this thread. I really appreciate it.

I was hoping you could talk about your experience. Are you happy you did this program? Did it help you get into professional school (med school or whatever your goals were)? Is there any advice you would give to future students?

Also, do you mind if we send you message with some other questions?

Thank you!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I'd like to read more on the experience at George Mason. Especially the prep courses, like MCAT,DAT, and GRE . What were the average scores of the ABS students (for each test)?

Members don't see this ad :)
@gsk93 Feel free to send me messages! I was not an actual student from the program itself, I was hired independently. I've asked some current students to post here with their input so hopefully they can help answer your questions or maybe some older students looking around on here can provide their input. Honest input is definitely appreciated!

To answer your question from my perspective: the program will challenge your study skills and ability to learn and integrate complex biology/chemistry/physiology concepts. If anything, your study skills and time management will improve. I think ability to get into professional school largely depends on how well you do in the program. In my experience the rigor and content of the program will prepare you for professional school in terms of coursework.

@littleler - coming into the program we don't require the students to have an MCAT, DAT, or GRE score. We currently offer DAT and MCAT prep courses at our campus as well as online resources that can be used even after graduation!

@gsk93 Feel free to send me messages! I was not an actual student from the program itself, I was hired independently. I've asked some current students to post here with their input so hopefully they can help answer your questions or maybe some older students looking around on here can provide their input. Honest input is definitely appreciated!

To answer your question from my perspective: the program will challenge your study skills and ability to learn and integrate complex biology/chemistry/physiology concepts. If anything, your study skills and time management will improve. I think ability to get into professional school largely depends on how well you do in the program. In my experience the rigor and content of the program will prepare you for professional school in terms of coursework.

@littleler - coming into the program we don't require the students to have an MCAT, DAT, or GRE score. We currently offer DAT and MCAT prep courses at our campus as well as online resources that can be used even after graduation!
Thanks for the reply but I was asking if the ABS program keeps tract of the average scores of the students after graduation when they take their respective tests.

Oh sorry about that! We don't keep track of student scores unless they report them back to us.

Thanks for the reply but I was asking if the ABS program keeps tract of the average scores of the students after graduation when they take their respective tests.

Hello! I will try to find out from the director about how people generally do on the tests after completing the program.

Does anyone know the grading scale works? is it A, B, C or A, B-, B+ and so on.

Does anyone know the grading scale works? is it A, B, C or A, B-, B+ and so on.
It depends on the class/professor, but all the fall classes were: A, A-, B+, B.... so far. I'm assuming it will be the same for spring classes.

It depends on the class/professor, but all the fall classes were: A, A-, B+, B.... so far. I'm assuming it will be the same for spring classes.
do you mind if i PM you?

Thank you for starting this thread, yoda8000! One question I have: What's a typical weekly schedule like for a student part of the program?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@yoda8000 I applied to this program but I fall a bit below the avg with a cGPA of 3.06 are my chances of getting into the program are still good? also has anyone been accepted and if so what are your stats.

I had a 3.34 cGPA And a 3.0 sGPA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@yoda8000 I applied to this program but I fall a bit below the avg with a cGPA of 3.06 are my chances of getting into the program are still good? also has anyone been accepted and if so what are your stats.

Yes, my cumulative isn't much higher than yours. I had a 3.1 and was accepted. Science wasn't too high either. Don't doubt yourself. I think they also consider your extracurriculars too, that's definitely a plus.

Thanks so much! I'm really pulling for this program so hopefully I will hear shortly! How long did it take for you all to find out your decision?

I want to say about 2 weeks I think. After all my information was submitted. Good luck, I hope you get in :)

W
Thanks so much! I'm really pulling for this program so hopefully I will hear shortly! How long did it take for you all to find out your decision?

I applied in December and didn't receive a response until mid-February.

@littleler and delri, when you both were accepted did you find out through your online application hub or was an email sent. And was your decision posted "accepted" or something like "decision made" I'm trying to figure out how they are going to notify me of my decision?

They sent me an unofficial acceptance it was like a google doc

@cap524 - I can't really say much about admissions (I'm not involved with the process at all personally) but I can say that we do look at your entire application. We're not looking for perfect students because we acknowledge that everyone who goes into the program could use some brushing up on their academic performances in undergrad. The applications are currently being reviewed but really depends on the schedule of the admissions coordinator. Good luck!

@py335 - A typical week for students (from Spring Semester) - MWF 11:00-1:15PM Physiology Lectures, M - Physician and Society 2:15 - 3:45PM, WF - Anatomy 2:00-3:45PM. There are also MCAT/DAT courses on Thursdays (3hrs), as well as an elective (optional) course in Evolutionary Biology on Tuesdays from 10:30-11:50AM. I would say that students in general study somewhere between 6-10 hours a day depending on familiarity with the material and study habits.

@delri - Classes are based off professor preference and do use the A, A-, B+, B, B- scale (unless otherwise noted by professor). GPAs are calculated including + and - values

@littleler and delri, when you both were accepted did you find out through your online application hub or was an email sent. And was your decision posted "accepted" or something like "decision made" I'm trying to figure out how they are going to notify me of my decision?

So I've only received an "unofficial acceptance", I was added to the google group by the program director. I have contacted admissions about sending me an official so I can officially accept. But I know I have been accepted. Also on the online service center my application still says "decision made". I spoke with Dr. Kamara and she informed me that the school has made some adjustments and want all acceptance/rejection information responses to be from graduate admissions only.

This may be a dumb question but do the grades we receive from the certificate program count towards our undergrad GPA or graduate GPA?

I believe it's graduate

@pmpgnv326 - You should list it as post-bacc/graduate GPA on your AMCAS. I believe some schools will count it towards undergraduate GPA while others will not.

To those who are waiting on a decision: within the program we cannot officially grant acceptances, BUT if you have been invited to the google group for the upcoming class than that is good news! For those of you who are still waiting, your official decision should be made via the application portal. If you have been invited to the google group but have not seen a change in your status on the application portal, please email masongrad.gmu.edu and ask them for their assistance!

I want to say about 2 weeks I think. After all my information was submitted. Good luck, I hope you get in :)

Got accepted today thanks for the good luck! And thank you @littleler

Are any of you all interested in applying to the masters after you complete the ABS certificate?

I thought about it but probably not.

Are any of you all interested in applying to the masters after you complete the ABS certificate?

As of now I am very much interested in applying for that

@pmpgnv326 - You should list it as post-bacc/graduate GPA on your AMCAS. I believe some schools will count it towards undergraduate GPA while others will not.

To those who are waiting on a decision: within the program we cannot officially grant acceptances, BUT if you have been invited to the google group for the upcoming class than that is good news! For those of you who are still waiting, your official decision should be made via the application portal. If you have been invited to the google group but have not seen a change in your status on the application portal, please email masongrad.gmu.edu and ask them for their assistance!

I found my official letter on the application portal but did not receive a email or google doc invite for it. Does the google group invite come a while after the letter?

I found my official letter on the application portal but did not receive a email or google doc invite for it. Does the google group invite come a while after the letter?
I actually got a Google doc invite before my official letter.

I also received my google group invite before getting my actual letter

I was wondering if any of the previous students took up part time jobs and if someone could please direct me to any opportunities that provide clinical experience. Thanks!