This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderment

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so where do I begin....
I am a lower senior in my college and would like to go into medical school. Some facts about me,
I was academically dismissed from my college during what would've been my first semester of my junior year ( two years ago). I've always been a good student but went through personal problems for two semesters and lost focus
I had to sit out of school for a year as the school policy and was thankfully accepted back in. For another year by the school's policy, I had to be part time, and within that one year, I was in good academic standing.
These past two years I've been working on bringing up my GPA. I went from a 1.8 to a now 3.0, ( with the F replacement) and I still have a semester left, but I have not taken all my science courses. I took Chem and got an F (that's what placed me in academic probation before I was dismissed) but when I was accepted back in I retook the course, did an F replacement and got a B. I also took pre calc but withdrew and later on took it again and got a B.
I just don't know if I should continue taking the rest of my science courses at my college (I've only taken Chem) so I end up staying another year as an undergrad then go for a SMP or if I should just graduate (9 credits short of graduating) and go for my post bacc
I've had a lot of finanacial responsibilities so I've had to work throughout my time that I was in and out of college, so I've had to balance that and haven't been able to do any volunteer work or research.
I've had that same job for almost 4 years and I do have an upward trend in my grades
So in all I haven't done volunteer work or research or anything of that sort yet and I'm still at a low GPA
What routes do you all suggest I should go for seeing that my chances are very low right now in being accepted into medical school?
or what would my changes be in getting into medical school if I do well, complete EC's and score extremely well on the MCAT?
Thank you!
*Im a NY resident and minority*
* Completing a BS in Psych with a minor in Neuroscience*

Members don't see this ad.

Which minority group do you belong to? You need 50 hours of physician shadowing, both MD and DO, and include primary care. Also 100+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. Keep working on increasing your GPA. After you have competed all the science prerequisites, including biochemistry, you will need to take the MCAT but do not take it until your practice scores are consistently over 505.

Reactions: 1 users
What is your GPA with every class you've ever taken included? (Yes even the Fs).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Which minority group do you belong to? You need 50 hours of physician shadowing, both MD and DO, and include primary care. Also 100+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. Keep working on increasing your GPA. After you have competed all the science prerequisites, including biochemistry, you will need to take the MCAT but do not take it until your practice scores are consistently over 505.
Hispanic/Latino

What is your GPA with every class you've ever taken included? (Yes even the Fs).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
My Cum GPA with the F replacement is 3.0
My GPA for my major is 3.4

Whats your GPA without Grade Replacement. When you apply to medical school both your F and your retake grade will be factored into you cumulative GPA and your science GPA

Reactions: 1 user
The F does not get replaced for a med school applicant goa regardless of what your school does....no grade is replaced, all attempts count

Reactions: 1 user
I feel the best course of action would be to graduate this year with high grades, apply to a record enhancer post-bac, then apply to a special masters program. If you have near straight A's for both the post-bac and special masters program you will have a chance at getting accepted into medical school. These two years will also allow you to shadow, and volunteer which extended shadowing and clinical volunteering will be crucial for your application given you low stats.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel the best course of action would be to graduate this year with high grades, apply to a record enhancer post-bac, then apply to a special masters program. If you have near straight A's for both the post-bac and special masters program you will have a chance at getting accepted into medical school. These two years will also allow you to shadow, and volunteer which extended shadowing and clinical volunteering will be crucial for your application given you low stats.
Concur 100%