Academic days for academic radiology attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking my first radiology job in academics, but had a question about how "academic days" work.

Is it mandatory that attendings come into the office on "academic days", even if they can work on whatever they need to do from home?
If they do have to come in, is it mandated that they stay the whole day?
Is this institution dependent? For example where I am now, everyone seems to come in for the whole day on their research day, but at the institution I was at previously, attendings usually only came in on their academic days if they needed to take care of something in house.

For me I'd rather take care of my research and other obligations from home if it is possible, and come in for the academic days only when I need to.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough. It's also a good question to ask on an interview.

I think it depends on both the academic center and your rank in the department. At more hardcore academic places I think they will expect you to show up and be available for at least part of the day. I also think that more junior staff are given less leeway to be MIA.

I did residency and fellowship at mid to high level academic centers and it seemed like most people came in and would spend the day at meetings or in their office.

My friend just took a job at a lower level academic center and he is not expected to show up on his academic day.

Thank you. This would parallel my own personal observations in regards to the higher level academic centers and the lower level academic centers. With the higher level centers, they usually offer more academic time, but this may come with the expectation that you be in your office and available for at least part of the day. I will make sure to find out before I sign the contract what the expectations are.