Academic CCM. Can you run a lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Build

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you with more knowledge/exposure to academic CCM, how feasible do you see running your own research in CCM compared to other areas of medicine? You may not be able to be the best clinician possible, but can you do a good job in the clinic while putting 75%+ time into research? Positive or negative, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

and here:

Judith Hellman, MD
Associate Professor In Residence
M.D. or Ph.D. Institution: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Internship: Oregon Health Sciences University

Anesthesia Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital

Fellowship(s): Massachusetts General Hospital (Critical Care Medicine)

I am an Critical Care Anesthesiologist and I do basic science research on mechanisms of sepsis. My primary clinical commitment is as an attending physician in the Intensive Care Units at UCSF Medical Center. I attend in the ICU 6-8 weeks per year.

My research interest in sepsis is very closely linked to my clinical interest in intensive care medicine. My laboratory investigates the basic mechanisms by which interactions between microorganisms and the host innate immune system ultimately lead to shock and organ dysfunction in sepsis. Toll-like receptors (TLRs) are innate immune receptors that recognize components of microorganisms and are critical in generating early inflammatory responses to infections. We previously found that different TLR agonists are shed by bacteria into the blood in sepsis models, including endotoxin, a TLR4 agonist, and PAL and MLP, TLR2 agonists. Subsequently we found that PAL and other TLR2 agonists activate endothelial cells, modulate expression of coagulation pathway factors in vitro and in vivo, induce lung and myocardial inflammation, and cause pulmonary dysfunction. We are currently investigating the underlying mechanisms and functional significance of TLR2 activation in sepsis in vivo using infection and toxicity models, and in vitro using endothelial cells and macrophages. We are focused on the effects of TLR2 pathways on coagulopathy, on the microvascular circulation, and on the lung. Recently we have found that different TLR agonists profoundly modulate inflammatory effects of one another, and we are pursuing studies to try to understand the mechanisms that underlie these "TLR interactions".

Generally, people start with an 80% clinical commitment and buy their way out of some of that with grant money in order to spend less time in the ICU/OR and more time in the lab. Academic time begets more grants, which begets more academic time, and so on. If you're in a smaller department, where you can be a big fish, I'd bet you could negotiate for something less than an 80% commitment to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, people start with an 80% clinical commitment and buy their way out of some of that with grant money in order to spend less time in the ICU/OR and more time in the lab. Academic time begets more grants, which begets more academic time, and so on. If you're in a smaller department, where you can be a big fish, I'd bet you could negotiate for something less than an 80% commitment to start.

What are the starting salaries like in academic CCM (ballpark figures) at different tiers of prestige?

Anything I estimated would be based on conjecture. I have no way of knowing what other places are paying. Generally, it will depend on your level (asst, assoc., etc) and geography (more desirable regions/cities/programs pay less). I don't get the sense that swinging big brass balls necessarily allows you to negotiate for more money, but rather for more non-clinical time. Many programs have clinical/productivity incentives to allow you to earn more, but, obviously, this extra time spent in the OR will limit your ability to develop your research enterprise.

very cool cchoukal!
What's your general trajectory in CCM? Academics I take it?

very cool cchoukal!
What's your general trajectory in CCM? Academics I take it?

Again, just to be clear, that's Judith Hellman's lab at UCSF, not mine (there was some confusion in a PM), and just an example to answer the OPs question.

Too soon to tell my trajectory. Likely academics (at first, definitely; I'm staying on at UCSF for a year). After that, who knows...