Academic anesthesiologists - paternity leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not sure what maternity leave is. 8-12 weeks? They take it all.
I’m pretty sure paternity is 6 weeks. They take that as well. Though often not all at once. Someone just went out after their wife’s maternity leave ended to get 6 more weeks with the baby before brining in a nanny.
Full income and bonus potential are retained unless you go out on long term disability.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure what maternity leave is. 8-12 weeks? They take it all.
I’m pretty sure paternity is 6 weeks. They take that as well. Though often not all at once. Someone just went out after their wife’s maternity leave ended to get 6 more weeks with the baby before brining in a nanny.
Full income and bonus potential are retained unless you go out on long term disability.

that's pretty good for paid benefits,

Taking all comers, the average salary at Microsoft is 120k. Microsoft’s revenue/employee is $900k and their profit/employee is $270k. They had $44B net income in 2020. Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world. They can afford to provide generous benefits. What was the net income of your hospital? More than likely that Microsoft has a much larger bucket of money to throw around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking all comers, the average salary at Microsoft is 120k. Microsoft’s revenue/employee is $900k and their profit/employee is $270k. They had $44B net income in 2020. Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world. They can afford to provide generous benefits. What was the net income of your hospital? More than likely that Microsoft has a much larger bucket of money to throw around.
Average senior software engineer income is around 250-350K. Senior means you have 5+ years' experience, much younger than senior doctors.

130-200K base salary, 20-30% bonus, RSU (~50K), ESPP, etc. New hired ~200K paid over 4 years. plus excellent retirement plans and other benefits.

It has been good time for big tech employees.

Reactions: 1 user
Average senior software engineer income is around 250-350K. Senior means you have 5+ years' experience, much younger than senior doctors.

130-200K base salary, 20-30% bonus, RSU (~50K), ESPP, etc. New hired ~200K paid over 4 years. plus excellent retirement plans and other benefits.

Yes I think the $120k average includes all employees including entry level interns, custodians, etc.

One of my college friends went to work for Microsoft in 1988. He has been retired for over 10 years and is much wealthier than me.

You millennial guys are weak. We have no family support when my kids were born. I worked all day (private). Wife went into labor. Delivered at 5pm (we also had a 2 year old. A distant relative came to help watch the 2 year old from 4pm-10pm that night.

I came home. Watched the 2 year old. While wife in hospital with c/s with newborn who was born at 5pm. I went to work the next day. And distant relative helped with the 2 year old from 6am-5pm.

I went home from work next day to 5pm to take care of 2 year old and distant relative went home. Thank god it was Friday. Picked up wife 1.5 days in hospital c/s.
Took 1 week off

back to work after 1 week off.
That’s the private practice life.

you had a relative help out? thats weak bro

Reactions: 3 users

Yes I think the $120k average includes all employees including entry level interns, custodians, etc.

One of my college friends went to work for Microsoft in 1988. He has been retired for over 10 years and is much wealthier than me.

one of my good college friends 3 years behind me went to microsoft. already bought her million $ house. her equities really skyrocketted.

but her salary in her 1st year after college as a entry level engineer was more than 120k combined (salary, bonus, equity).
and they have generous benefits that many doctors dont have (insurances paid, etc)

one of my good college friends 3 years behind me went to microsoft. already bought her million $ house. her equities really skyrocketted.

but her salary in her 1st year after college as a entry level engineer was more than 120k combined (salary, bonus, equity).
and they have generous benefits that many doctors dont have (insurances paid, etc)

The problem is that I was too dumb to get a job at Microsoft. They don’t take just anyone;)

The problem is that I was too dumb to get a job at Microsoft. They don’t take just anyone;)

My college roommate is a software engineer for Apple and he may have been the laziest person I have ever met and didn’t do particularly well in college. He was good with computers, though.

My college roommate is a software engineer for Apple and he may have been the laziest person I have ever met and didn’t do particularly well in college. He was good with computers, though.

Yeah they do technical interviews with on the fly coding and problem solving.

To be fair those who wrote the code for Clippy saved more lives than we have.

• Haha
My classmate at a university medical center has 12 weeks of PAID leave (same for father or mother) plus accrued vacation. That's the best I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
California by law gives you 12 weeks, 8 weeks of which are paid by the government (but really yourself from your paycheck)

I don't understand the American culture of work till you die. The European culture of generous time off is something we should adopt. Why? Because you dislike your family or children (even newborn??) that much you'd rather be slaving away for an employer who doesn't give a damn? I understand the loss of income part, but calling people weak for wanting work life balance is shameful. Yes the millennials have taken things to the other extreme of being spoiled brats, but telling a mother to ditch her newborn 2 weeks after birth to get back to work is just wrong. My wife thought about going back to work 8 weeks later and since she has a government job is taking 6 months she was able to pull with all the time off she could conglomerate and she is enjoying taking care of and watching our baby grow. Sitting in the office doesn't replace that experience... It isn't weak to enjoy being with your family or have a life, better than the boomer generation (who also left us the world that we have today) where you have absent parent(s). Not everyone has the luxury of family to be around to help take over and help, nor do we feel like forking over a 2nd mortgage to pay someone else to take care of our kid for as long as we can avoid it while able

Reactions: 2 users
I don't understand the American culture of work till you die. The European culture of generous time off is something we should adopt. Why? Because you dislike your family or children (even newborn??) that much you'd rather be slaving away for an employer who doesn't give a damn? I understand the loss of income part, but calling people weak for wanting work life balance is shameful. Yes the millennials have taken things to the other extreme of being spoiled brats, but telling a mother to ditch her newborn 2 weeks after birth to get back to work is just wrong. My wife thought about going back to work 8 weeks later and since she has a government job is taking 6 months she was able to pull with all the time off she could conglomerate and she is enjoying taking care of and watching our baby grow. Sitting in the office doesn't replace that experience... It isn't weak to enjoy being with your family or have a life, better than the boomer generation (who also left us the world that we have today) where you have absent parent(s). Not everyone has the luxury of family to be around to help take over and help, nor do we feel like forking over a 2nd mortgage to pay someone else to take care of our kid for as long as we can avoid it while able

well to be fair i think its different when your "paid leave" is in the 99% of income earners in the country, its not like you are asking for time off from your 50k per year job, this person is demanding paid time off at an extremely high salary. if you want the time off so bad, dont demand to be paid so much for staying home.. a little unreasonable in my opinion , not a lack of compassion

Private practice is mainly eat what you kill how do you expect the group to pay you paternity leave? they should accomodate time off and you claim FMLA but i wouldnt expect my group to somehow pay me a stipend for not bringing any revenue in. Academics and salary positions are different obviously.
PP here so not target audience.

Our group pays for days worked. When we had our kid during PP years I took the 2 days off until the weekend, then had vacation at week 3 already planned. That worked well for our family.

Most of the group does something similar, nobody is willing to take the monetary hit of 2-12 additional weeks off, even though the group would fully support them by giving up our own vacations. None of our female partners have had children after starting, I don’t know how they would feel, but suspect that they are very organized and would have planned their vacation to land post delivery. Obviously they would be treated as well as the males who we would cover by giving up our vacations.

So far the longest someone has taken was 1 additional week after delivery. Then again, we do 10-16 weeks off annually, so most of the time people rearrange that time to do every third week off for a bit after planned delivery date.

To me it is interesting to contrast the desired time off when it all costs you your full pay (because as a partner any “paid time off” would just be paid from your own pocket).

Cprs is perhaps a worse affliction than crps
It’s clunky, but having used both cprs and epic, given the increased documentation requirements of places the bill with epic, my burden is much smaller with cprs. The VA is starting to look harder at workload capture though, which is increasing the time I spend feeding the chart. Still less then epic though.

PP here so not target audience.

Our group pays for days worked. When we had our kid during PP years I took the 2 days off until the weekend, then had vacation at week 3 already planned. That worked well for our family.

Most of the group does something similar, nobody is willing to take the monetary hit of 2-12 additional weeks off, even though the group would fully support them by giving up our own vacations. None of our female partners have had children after starting, I don’t know how they would feel, but suspect that they are very organized and would have planned their vacation to land post delivery. Obviously they would be treated as well as the males who we would cover by giving up our vacations.

So far the longest someone has taken was 1 additional week after delivery. Then again, we do 10-16 weeks off annually, so most of the time people rearrange that time to do every third week off for a bit after planned delivery date.

To me it is interesting to contrast the desired time off when it all costs you your full pay (because as a partner any “paid time off” would just be paid from your own pocket).
Are you living in bumblef*ck?? 10 to 16wks that's wild...