AC sep III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmuhnie

Justin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year...spring break has left me with a type III AC separation and I just had a couple questions. I'm a fairly athletic person...Where do you stand on the debate of surgical intervention vs. let it be? How quickly should repairs be made (how long could I wait)? What are recovery times?

I've searched the internet, but each site has a different opinion. I figured current opinions would be better. I'd like to continue through school and not have to take time off.

Thanks

J

Members don't see this ad.

Jmuhnie said:
I'm a first year...spring break has left me with a type III AC separation and I just had a couple questions. I'm a fairly athletic person...Where do you stand on the debate of surgical intervention vs. let it be? How quickly should repairs be made (how long could I wait)? What are recovery times?

I've searched the internet, but each site has a different opinion. I figured current opinions would be better. I'd like to continue through school and not have to take time off.

Thanks

J

I also had a grade III AC seperation, LAST spring from a bicycle crash. I can relate to the ambiguity you face - as i'm sure you've read on the websites a III is "borderline" for surgery - so said my ortho when i went in for a consult after my initial ER visit. Long story short, i tried to rehab without surgery for 6 months, was VERY unhappy with the level at which I plateaued (had to do series of PT prescribed exercises every day to avoid chronic pain, 4-8 advils/day, etc.) and had surgery (Weaver-Dunn procedure with allograft ligament) over winter break. Obviously things got worse before they got better, and i was totally out of commission for about 10 days (hence waiting to schedule it over my next break), but so far i am happy with the results. Still doing PT, but i am progressing at a much faster rate than i was right after the original injury, and within the last month have without a doubt surpassed where i had leveled-off prior to surgery. Not quite 100% yet, but probably around 80-85 and climbing. I am a competitive triathlete and am already able to bike and run again almost completely pain free. Still have yet to work swimming back into the rotation, but according to the plan should be back in the water within the month. Good luck with your shoulder, and feel free to PM me to discuss any more questions you might have; i am not a doc yet (will be just starting med school in the fall!), but after my ordeal i think i know as much as anyone about the AC joint :)