This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorhopefulyup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'd really like your opinions on this. I am currently starting an ABSN and finishing up the rest of my pre-med prerequisites. I have about a 3.3 or 3.4 gpa currently with my final grades calculated in. It will continue to go up in the program. I am stuck between becoming an DNP or D.O. ... both are great options. I am planning on applying to both. By the time I apply to medical school, I will have at least 7 months experience and if I matriculate into medical school almost 2 years working as nurse. I love medicine but I am very much interested in politics and policy as well. I was thinking that DNP would give me more room to do other things as well. However, D.O. can give me big opportunities to also be politically active with medicine but later in life (after a residency). I love both options and it's really hard for me to pick one (the nursing or the medical model). Please give positive feedback and don't bash one occupation over the other. Health care is about being a team. I have great LORs and extracurriculars and my science gpa is high.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I'd really like your opinions on this. I am currently starting an ABSN and finishing up the rest of my pre-med prerequisites. I have about a 3.3 or 3.4 gpa currently with my final grades calculated in. It will continue to go up in the program. I am stuck between becoming an DNP or D.O. ... both are great options. I am planning on applying to both. By the time I apply to medical school, I will have at least 7 months experience and if I matriculate into medical school almost 2 years working as nurse. I love medicine but I am very much interested in politics and policy as well. I was thinking that DNP would give me more room to do other things as well. However, D.O. can give me big opportunities to also be politically active with medicine but later in life (after a residency). I love both options and it's really hard for me to pick one (the nursing or the medical model). Please give positive feedback and don't bash one occupation over the other. Health care is about being a team. I have great LORs and extracurriculars and my science gpa is high.

If your goal is political advocacy the DNP would probably be the much much easier route and nurses have a heck of a lobbying group! IMO much better than the AOA or AMA. No real need for a DO with your stated goals. Find a DO and DNP to shadow and which one feels right.

Good Luck

If your goal is political advocacy the DNP would probably be the much much easier route and nurses have a heck of a lobbying group! IMO much better than the AOA or AMA. No real need for a DO with your stated goals. Find a DO and DNP to shadow and which one feels right.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it.