ABPN Boards Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watto

Sleek White Pantsuit
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? I just found out yesterday that I passed my oral boards in psychiatry and my board certification will be dated January 14, 2011. The bad news is that I cannot register for this fall's sleep boards as the requirements state you have to be board certified by December 31 in the year prior to the year of the examination.

This irks me for a few reasons:
1) I had absolutely no choice as to when my oral boards were scheduled -- this is done at the whims of the ABPN
2) The difference is 14 days
3) The sleep boards are only offered q 2 years, meaning I can't take them until 2013 (when I will be two years out of fellowship)
4) I am in the unlucky last group of psych residents who even had to take the oral boards -- without having to do so, I would have been board certified in May of 2010.

Received a response from the ABPN credentialing supervisor that basically stated not to even try applying as my application would be rejected. The point was made that the cohort taking part II of the psych boards in January 2011 would also have to be made eligible. I guess my point is, they should be made eligible as a class given the restrictions put on them as given above.

Has anyone had this problem before? Apparently you can appeal if the application is rejected (and risk losing the appeal fee if you lose) but not in the actual application process. Don't know if there are any other sleep medicine fellows in my situation who might want to agitate a little bit on this.

Members don't see this ad.