ABPN and State licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Hope everyone is staying safe out there during these crazy times. Current PGY-3 here. Just secured my position as a neurohospitalist for July 2021. very excited about the whole thing. A couple questions: 1) are there any current studies/correlations between RITE and board scores. I realize there is the 2013 study looking at 2008 and 2009 scores but wasnt sure if there is anything more recent. 2) When do you apply for the ABPN and state licensure. Was not sure how to go about the whole process. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you apply for license at the end of your PGY 4. RITE is super hard while boards are much easier. I would say 1/10 easier

You do NOT need to be BC to practice. Try to delay as long as you can possibly delay. Many hospitals and groups use BC as a criteria for partnership. Get it for that purpose. Then change to NBPS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you apply for license at the end of your PGY 4. RITE is super hard while boards are much easier. I would say 1/10 easier

I'd advise applying for one mid PGY4 year rather than the end of the year in case of delays (highly state dependent). I know several people who were almost unable to take the exam because they were still waiting on their license.

You do not need a license to register for the exam but must have one at least a couple weeks before you're supposed to sit for the exam iirc.