About to start college...Need advice :)

pb9123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 17 years old and used to attend public school until I had to stop attending due to medical/family issues. Now I have my G.E.D and hope to become a physician.

I'm thinking of getting my associates degree at the local community college and then transferring to a major university to complete a 4 year degree, since Admission to a University directly is not only difficult with a G.E.D its also expensive and I would like to take the 2 years at a community college if at all possible.

Only problem with this all is, I can't decide on a major. I love chemistry(Inorganic ;) ) but I'm not that great with math. Can't really decide.

*Edit- You can probably tell by the timestamp on this message that I think about this quite alot.. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm 17 years old and used to attend public school until I had to stop attending due to medical/family issues. Now I have my G.E.D and hope to become a physician.

I'm thinking of getting my associates degree at the local community college and then transferring to a major university to complete a 4 year degree, since Admission to a University directly is not only difficult with a G.E.D its also expensive and I would like to take the 2 years at a community college if at all possible.

Only problem with this all is, I can't decide on a major. I love chemistry(Inorganic ;) ) but I'm not that great with math. Can't really decide.

*Edit- You can probably tell by the timestamp on this message that I think about this quite alot.. :p

I think that you are taking a step in the right direction by asking questions. You are definitely not alone when it comes to being undecided about your major. A lot of people don't know what they want to major in at the beggining of their college career. But you have decided on a career choice so that is good. What I would normally suggest for someone who is an undecided pre-med student is to take all of your medical school pre-reqs (bio 1 &2, Chem 1 & 2, organic 1 & 2, and physics 1 & 2) as well as your general education pre-reqs (english, history, etc). Then you could see which major attracts you the most. However, you should know that most medical schools do not want you to take your science pre-reqs at a community college. They want you to take them at a 4 year institution. So, if it is at all possible, I would try go directly to a 4 year college or university. If this is not possible,then maybe just take some general education courses at a community college and then transfer to a university or college. Also, you don't have to be a science major to go to medical school. You can chose history, english, or anything else that really interests you.

Hope that helps, and post any other questions you might have.

I think that you are taking a step in the right direction by asking questions. You are definitely not alone when it comes to being undecided about your major. A lot of people don't know what they want to major in at the beggining of their college career. But you have decided on a career choice so that is good. What I would normally suggest for someone who is an undecided pre-med student is to take all of your medical school pre-reqs (bio 1 &2, Chem 1 & 2, organic 1 & 2, and physics 1 & 2) as well as your general education pre-reqs (english, history, etc). Then you could see which major attracts you the most. However, you should know that most medical schools do not want you to take your science pre-reqs at a community college. They want you to take them at a 4 year institution. So, if it is at all possible, I would try go directly to a 4 year college or university. If this is not possible,then maybe just take some general education courses at a community college and then transfer to a university or college. Also, you don't have to be a science major to go to medical school. You can chose history, english, or anything else that really interests you.

Hope that helps, and post any other questions you might have.

Thank you for the reply, I read about the medical schools not wanting the science pre-reqs from a community college. However my chances of getting into a 4 year university with a G.E.D is quite slim. I would need to transfer from a community college. Could I take the other Pre-reqs at the Community college and leave the science ones for the University?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you should be able to take the non-science prereqs at a community college. That's what a lot of people I know are doing to save money and still graduate with a degree.

Like Spooner13, I'd recommend you go straight to the four-year university with perhaps a few college credits under your belt (preferably with an outstanding GPA).

I'm pulling this from my university's website. This should reflect some of the same things from the four-year university of your choice. I'd recommend choosing one and asking them about their specific criteria for admissions:

If you do not meet the requirements for Automatic Admission, or if you are home-schooled or earned a GED or attended a high school that does not rank its students, our admissions officers will review your application separately. In reviewing individual applications, we consider such additional factors as:
  • first-generation college attendance
  • socio-economic background
  • extent and rigor of your high school curriculum
  • special talents, abilities or awards earned
  • family responsibilities
  • leadership activities
  • public service
  • extracurricular activities
You are welcome to submit any additional material that would strengthen your application, such as an especially strong letter of recommendation or a persuasive statement explaining your special circumstances.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply, I read about the medical schools not wanting the science pre-reqs from a community college. However my chances of getting into a 4 year university with a G.E.D is quite slim. I would need to transfer from a community college. Could I take the other Pre-reqs at the Community college and leave the science ones for the University?

I would say that Docere is correct. You can probably take the non-science classes at a community college. I would also suggest that you call some of the instate colleges and universities and talk to an admissions advisor. Explain your situation to them and see if they have any suggestions for you (like ways you can get into their school with a GED). If you do end up going to a community college, then just do you best and get great grades. Just to give you a little encouragement, my brother started out at a community college, and he is now going to law school. I know law school and med school are different, but just work hard and do your best no matter where you are.

Also, I know that you didn't ask about this, but I thought I would share my opinion anyway. No matter where you start your college career at, start building up your extracurricular activities right away. That doesn't mean that you have to volunteer at a hospital 50 hours a week. Just set aside a few hours a week to volunteer or something in the medical field (or like shadowing a doctor). Med schools like to see long commitments, so if you have been volunteering throughout all 4 years of college, the schools will eat this up. I started volunteering at a local hospital 3.5 years ago (10 hours per week). I now have over 1600 volunteer hours. Just start early and build your extracurriculars.

Thanks for the great info guys, My friend told me that since I was going into the medical field that I should apply for a job as an emergency room technician? I'd assume you needed some qualifications for this, Would I be able to do this or is it a bad idea trying to do that and school at the same time?

It would be a bad idea, at least in the first few years when you're still trying to get back on your feet. You do need to be qualified (I believe it is around 110 hours of lecture, but in some states, you can just take the test to be certified). A few people in my class are doing EMT on the side, and they're a wreck sometimes after pulling all-nighters. The ones who seem to be able to handle the job and the courseload are part-time college students, students with classes that don't demand as much, or students with less credit hours a semester.

I would work as an EMT over the summer or something just to get a feel for what the job demands. If you feel comfortable balancing both work and school, then go for it.

Last edited:
If you get a job in the medical field while in school, just make sure you don't spread yourself too thin. Becoming a CNA is antoher job to consider.