about other avenues to pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nr-xxx

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not wish to be repetitious, However if relevant to anyone who is contemplating doping something other than pathology please consider these two options in IM
1) I recently went to a CME program on diabetes ( 12/2016) and the speaker , an endocrinologist in his mid 30's), pointed out that with 21 million diabetics in the US then there is a current need for about 1800 endocrinologists to the some 2800 that are in practice. since they produce about 285 a year there is a critical shortage. with endocrine plenty of lab data to use in addition to diabetes ( OGTT, Hgb A 1c, FBG, etc..) and others like thyroid so it seems a good job market
2) I do not wish to mention names, i live in a city of about 500,000 populations there is a local IM with Pulmonary boards and Sleep medicine boards, that does sleep apnea studies, it is a type of Clinical Physiology testing or Pulmonary testing such that one measures the airways pressures, hypoxic episodes and oxygen saturations he gets about $1500 to $2700 per test.( verify that with checking with CMS ( Medicare or BC/BS he does about 6 a night , opens 7 days a week ,runs 3 separate offices that works out to at least a gross of about $50,000 a week for just the sleep studies in addition to regular Pulmonary office ( emphysema, asthma ,occasional TB, PFT tests, etc.) so it one likes diagnostic work, can you consider this type of clinical physiology testing for that purpose. I will tell you right now that no one in pathology can come close to a gross of $50,000 a week. this is in a small city of 500,000 imagine the possibilities in a large city like LA,NYC, Houston, ST Louis, Chicago,etc. so if one wants diagnostic work and one has to consider cash flow seriously ( e. large school loans, more entrepreneurial oriented, etc.) then try IM with Pulmonary and Sleep medicine boards
either way IM plus endocrine boards or IM plus Pulmonary boards and Sleep medicine boards it seems a fields with diagnostic work and yet very solid cash flow

all the best just do not think pathology will equal this. it will . MY motive is to steer someone into a good direction I am sorry if this clashes with someone who had a naïve viewpoint that Pathology was a 'cash cow" it is not. those days are over with. these IM fields seem to be an alternative with good cash flow and yet has diagnostic work for those that want that over say doing surgery. best wishes and I truly mean that just don't delude yourself about pathology . pathology might be for someone who just wants research or who lacks patient skills or English language skills but for those who read this: ask yourself could this be something? the time for training would be about 5-7 years after med schools which equals what pathology and a specialty would be. you would be about mid to late 30's when completing either of them. at least think about it

Members don't see this ad.

You need to just start cutting and pasting what you say. It will save you a lot of effort. Maybe the VA in El Paso is slow and you have plenty of time to post this stuff over and over again.

The only thing this post is missing is the story about the pathologist doing Bosley hair transplants and of course machines currently screening lung biopsies.

Sounds like you had an interesting interview in Jacksonville

http://jacksonville.com/news/florid...lles-top-medical-examiner-after-office-dogged

Maybe the VA in El Paso is slow and you have plenty of time to post this stuff over and over again.

The VA in El Paso doesn't have any pathologists. They contract with the local DoD military hospital for pathology. Ask me how I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about going the other way? The solution to theses shortages is going to be to have PA's/NP's manage these patients. Seems like a pathologist with excellent CP/chemistry training could oversee large populations of patients. Some groups are already experimenting with this model. Seems like a better option compared to IM residency (soul crushing) and two year endo fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stop posting the same thing over and over again.

"I Don't mean to be repetitive." - Yes you do. That's your whole point. We are not idiots.

What is your purpose in coming here to post all this crap?

Reactions: 1 user
Used to know a pathologist at the VA in El Paso. Colonel Matlock. Is he still there?