ABO oral exam postponed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitt1166

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So unfortunately we learned today that the ABO oral exam that was scheduled for next week 3/19-3/21 was postponed due to coronavirus. Email went out this morning to examinees.

Expletive.

Obviously no information has been provided about when the test will be rescheduled for, since no one knows when we'll have a handle on the situation.

Nonetheless this is weird because we are now in limbo, having studied for months and are ready to take the exam. Are people thinking it will be rescheduled in just a few months? Perhaps in the spring/summer? God damn this sucks. Just want to finish this stupid test and stop have it hanging over our heads.

Members don't see this ad.

While nice in theory, we are talking about the American Board of Ophthalmology. The Board's sole purpose is to determine those people who can safely care for their patient's most important function - vision. No matter how much you agree with that last statement, this is the the Board's sole function. The public entrusts the ABO to ensure that it only passes candidates who meet their well-vetted benchmark for safe ophthalmic practice. Can you imagine if the public finds out that the ABO just passed candidates for the (admittedly extreme) inconvenience of having to reschedule an exam? The optics (pun intended) would not be good.

Not happening - wouldn't waste my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
i doubt it would be spring or summer. if they cancelled this thing because of concerns for the virus with 500 cases in the US, then they would presumably have to wait until we have this under control, had it back under 500 and then schedule it for a few months down to road to give enough time for 500 applicants, proctors, staff to take off, reserve space etc.

I was told by somebody I trust that since combining into one test date, location has played a major role. Few places in the US have the capacity to house that many people in the suite-styled rooms needed for the orals. Hence Phoenix. That location will need to be 100% reservable for the test to be administered (along w the virus being under control/less hysteria over it).

I just imagine people’s weddings, engagement parties, etc getting in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree that this is not a happy situation. I did not pass my first attempt at orals last September, so next week was my second attempt. Now we are in limbo with regards to the rescheduled date. I have studied for months before the first attempt, now months before this attempt, and will have to restudy for months again before the rescheduled exam. You can only keep the details of all the white dot syndromes and retinal tumors and A-patterns and V-patterns and ERG patterns and causes of optic neuritis in your head (and a canned script for how you would address them) for so long. While I have learned an amazing amount from studying and made lots of new connections about different diseases, I was looking forward to this being over so I could be free to move on with life, so I empathize with the others stranded as I am.

I am hoping that perhaps they will consider a Skype or internet exam so that the exam would not have to be put off very long for those of us who have spent significant money on study materials and courses and taking time off to prepare.

Covid-19 will get worse, not better. It might get better in 2022.

Several specialties have discontinued the oral boards (years ago) making the boards a written only exam.

I doubt they will use Skype because of exam security.

The board's website mentions that the cancellation was because there were not enough examiners that volunteered.

People who registered probably want to take it this summer, not next year. If it is next year, they will need either double the number of examiners or go back to having it twice a year for a year in order to catch up with the number of examinees.

Anyone want to form a support group for the orals? Purpose would be to keep prepared and not become less prepared when the orals are actually given.

Feel free to PM me.

Given the situation, I have asked for a refund. I encourage others to ask for a refund as well.

I believe there are major issues with the oral/written board process in ophthalmology, and I have heard older Docs express their dissatisfaction with the ABO relating to Maintenance of Certification.

Looking at their taxes, they have around 5.5 mil in net assets, 5 mil in essentially fixed costs per year, and their CEO makes ~ 700K a year. If all candidates ask for a refund ~900 this will be 1.8 mil or 40% of their net assets. Perhaps this is a golden opportunity for negotiation with the ABO and change give we certainly have bargaining power collectively.

Please provide your comments/insights.

Tax data: https://abop.org/media/134922/form_990_2018_american_board_of_ophthamology__1_.pdf