Abnormal growth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psiyung

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question for any pediatricians or residents out there. I have a nephew who recently went to the pediatrician. The doctor noted he is "larger" than most kids his age (he's 30 months old). The doctor measured his weight, and it was 44 lbs. He is also pretty tall, because it seems that his weight matches his height. The doctor told my brother in law that he should stop feeding him so much milk. My question comes down to, can milk have this kind of impact on the height of a child? Should we get a second opinion? Your thoughts are appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

psiyung said:
A question for any pediatricians or residents out there. I have a nephew who recently went to the pediatrician. The doctor noted he is "larger" than most kids his age (he's 30 months old). The doctor measured his weight, and it was 44 lbs. He is also pretty tall, because it seems that his weight matches his height. The doctor told my brother in law that he should stop feeding him so much milk. My question comes down to, can milk have this kind of impact on the height of a child? Should we get a second opinion? Your thoughts are appreciated

Hmm, this is difficult to assess without knowing the exact height. That weight is no just larger, its well off the chart. It would also be helpfull to plot his BMI. A good history is also necessary. Are his parents big? siblings? grandparents? Were they big toddlers? If it doesn't fit one of those patterns, I would certainly raise my eyebrows. Does he have any signs of puberty? You need more information.

Ed

could very well be the start of obesity. obese kids get taller faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
edmadison said:
Hmm, this is difficult to assess without knowing the exact height. That weight is no just larger, its well off the chart. It would also be helpfull to plot his BMI. A good history is also necessary. Are his parents big? siblings? grandparents? Were they big toddlers? If it doesn't fit one of those patterns, I would certainly raise my eyebrows. Does he have any signs of puberty? You need more information.

Ed
Yeah, my brother in laws side of the family is very large. My brother in laws brother is around 6' 4", while other in their family also range near there

That weight is not that ridiculous. How much did he weigh at birth? Kids quadruple their weight by 2 years. He is two and a half. If he was a ten pound baby (a legit 10 pounder, no gestational diabetes) he is right on track, especially if his height and weight are in proportion and his parents are large people.

In response to the question, I do not think this requires a second opinion. We're talking about a kid whose big, not cancer. And the doctor just recommended to cut down the milk; it isn't like he/she recommend surgery. If that is his only problem and he is behaving fine, I would not be too worried.