Forum Members ABFAS/ABPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newpodgrad

Reaction score
Hey guys

While looking for jobs , I inquired with a few local hospitals about how to go about getting privileges.

Several of them sent me info and I wanted to highlight a board concern.

Not sure how to really take it, but here’s a excerpt from one of the docs re: board status.

“Board Certification Requirement means certification from one of the following boards: the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Osteopathic Association, the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery, or those Boards which may be approved by the Executive Committee to satisfy this Requirement”

As a disclaimer, I’m not a HUGE surgery pod. I enjoyed it , and did it in residency because, well, that’s what we had to do. And I’m fine with my forefoot procedures. I believe I’ve done well with them at my current level. I don’t care to do TARS, scopes mid foot fusions etc. I have no problem referring them out. I took the ABFAS qualifying tests etc, because again, it’s encouraged in residency and passed them.

Looking at this doc, it almost seems like this board required if you wanted to be on staff. The little statement at the end regarding “or those boards” seems like it might open the door for ABPM with some petitioning or something.

What do you guys make of this? I have heard from others that ABPM will get involved with issues regarding privileges etc. Is there more to this picture than meets the eye?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s take

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Arguments aside for or against the potential name change, having 2 different officially recognized boards for the foot, both claiming to be surgical....this would the most podiatry like thing ever.

Arguments aside for or against the potential name change, having 2 different officially recognized boards for the foot, both claiming to be surgical....this would the most podiatry like thing ever.
We do have two boards claiming surgical: ABFAS and ABLES. It seems to work slightly better for the former one... and their members.

ABPM is actually as relevant as they've ever been in years. They've always been an alternate board, but they have high membership, gaining decent recognition (in a good way... until last year). ABPOPPM was always fine... but never too popular or too visible; most DPMs had not even heard of ABPOPPM unless they failed to get a surgical program and were scrambling for something to satisfy a wound center or VA job or insurance or something. Their in-training was barely on most residents' radar, but ABPM got theirs required. ABPM now even has some dual cert people who keep their cert after getting ABFAS (probably also all-tme high?)... a few of them notable. Not enough for a surgical case eval process, obviously... but a large handful.

Given the ABPM's positive strides in the last 5 or 10 years, it's actually sad to see this last-minute 2022-23 prez push to 'leave a legacy' with CAQ and all of the jabs last year. It was clearly a plan concocted years ago when CAQs were started years prior, and we're seeing the end game now. In 2023, it's even more hasty and aggressive as the clock is ticking, but they will be on the fast track to being the next ABLES (unrecognized) if they collectively let a ridiculous name change or more craziness happen. Sure, the current figurehead is running out of time and might be trying to ignore the APMA, CPME, ACFAS, ABFAS, etc responses to the CAQ and overall nonsense last year. They might also know it's their one chance and that they won't have to personally deal with the fallout for the inflammatory actions (kinda like inexplicable POTUS pardons or longshot laws or dumb stuff are always seemingly done at term end). At any rate, "the future has a way of falling apart in mid-flight."

Still, I wouldn't imagine the whole ABPM organization has their blinders on and subscribes to the fallacy of being bulletproof. They have received a ton of negative feedback for the polarizing action attempts. They can read the responses from major podiatry organizations. I think it'll flame out just in time for a leader change, and you'll see an about-face fairly soon. Hopefully we won't see a CAQ in human farrier skills or one in TARs either, and they can logically just hold most of the good ground they've gained pre-2020 in visibility and member interest? There will need to be skillful damage control, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
ABPM adding an "S"to their name would be F***ing legendary. The absolute meltdown from people in ABFAS, APMA, and @Feli would make it 100% worth it. You have my full support @diabeticfootdr, please do it

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Crazy thing about all this is I remember as a student shadowing various DPMs who had been in practice. I had a great mentor who did a good amount of surgery and he told me about how ABPOPPM was referred to in his day as "the Toenail Boards" and how the reason ACFAS and ABFAS are trying to separate themselves from the subset of podiatrists who either didn't know how to do surgery or they were actually really proud to be treating people nonsurgically and didn't want anything to do with surgery (for example, Bryan Markinson).

Reactions: 1 user
If it is at all a pallet cleanser: the APMA HOD actually had some decent things come out of it for 2023. Heres the link to the homepage if anyone wants to read through all the materials. Also heres a link to a Boards Summit that was held after the HOD. Also as a disclaimer, the reports of the parity committee and boards summit are not actionable items rather the products of workshops so grain of salt and all that...

After rifling through a fair bit of the material, it seems the APMA and its delegates are aware of the boards "issues". On the Boards summit page is a document that outlines the event and a critical point is that there was "strong preference" of the 120 registered attendees to unify the boards with multiple subspecialties available to test for. Seems like a fair shake from our national association. The doc also spells out what we could/should do if that decision comes to pass and it seems fair. I think if both boards can come to the table and put aside their squabbling we might be actually able to do something good for podiatry. Though its seems we'd need Harvey Specter to close this deal (for all my Suits fans out there)

Additionally, there is a report from the parity commitee and it pretty closely mirrors some of the concerns of this thread and the general vibe of attending pod SDN contributors. (can post this part separately if not a fit for this thread, lmk)
  • Essentially, some 4th years don't feel as prepared in internal or general medical education as part of our residencies so they want to add in more education/rotations. (just seems like doing a regular med school core rotation would benefit but hey I don't make the rules)
  • Talking about MAV vs competencies and milestones in residency
  • Some people discussed the ACGME certifying residencies vs CPME, or at the very least having the CPME as closely as possible mirror ACGME "methodologies"
  • Shelf exams in residency to help monitor students progress with the possibility of expanded internal and general medical education
  • Revisiting APMLE comparability to other physician licensing exams
It feels like, at least on paper and in their meetings, the APMA is taking the shift in our profession seriously. Obviously, these aren't actionable items rather than "reports", "recommendations", and "findings" so the ball is still in APMAs court to do anything with it. But the point is, whether the HOD delegates troll on SDN for the vibe or the young docs and students are speaking up during these things, the APMA is getting the picture.

• Hmm
the APMA is getting the picture

Yeah Right Judging You GIF

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry student leadership reads SDN. They think they are going to be “foot and ankle surgeons” and ABFAS is some sort of gold standard in proving said surgical skillz.

Soon, the whole profession will turn to SDN for our collective wisdom, solutions, actual surgical skillz, and to meet the founder of the total toenail replacement.

We are SDN. We are Podiatry.

C872490B-38BC-4B2B-8696-B7ACC425AD65.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Podiatry student leadership reads SDN. They think they are going to be “foot and ankle surgeons” and ABFAS is some sort of gold standard in proving said surgical skillz.

Soon, the whole profession will turn to SDN for our collective wisdom, solutions, actual surgical skillz, and to meet the founder of the total toenail replacement.

View attachment 369523

Ha, I saw the letter they sent. Will try and post it as well as a few brief thoughts.

First off, regardless of your position on the CAQ, Dr Rogers is one of the few voices on SDN that has maintained a positive position on podiatry for new students. On this message board we openly mock his optimism, while apparently others blame him for the recruiting crisis! What is bothersome to me about this, is that it reflects the continued failure of our leadership to grasp what challenges new pods face. From useless student groups, all the way to the top of the APMA, they haven't got it yet. The problem is not mean things said on SDN, it’s saturation and poor ROI!! At least Dr. Rogers/ABPM is now admitting we have a problem.

As for the CAQ stuff, seems a bit foolish for a group that is not truly impacted to take a stand on this. Makes me wonder where they are getting their info though. What’s the overall percentage of a graduating class that end up ABFAS certified? I mean a large chunk of them are gonna end up abpm peeps anyway.

Finally my god, the ABPM gave APMSA 80k! I can’t remember what that organization did. I think after finals they provided pizza a few times? That’s crazy.

In conclusion, to any students reading this, do not worry. I will save some toenails for you and by the time you graduate, my group will be ready to hire you. We offer 4 days paid vacation time and the magnificent life changing salary of 100k (no bonus or benefits sorry, but I got mouths to feed)….

Attachments

• 010C96A3-F85E-4073-8E63-A58E24B39C41.png
    010C96A3-F85E-4073-8E63-A58E24B39C41.png
    318.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 4BB3A2CD-48D9-4D3F-8C0E-AE5B4D624A72.jpeg
    4BB3A2CD-48D9-4D3F-8C0E-AE5B4D624A72.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 103
Dr Rogers is one of the few voices on SDN that has maintained a positive position on podiatry for new students. On this message board we openly mock his optimism, while apparently others blame him for the recruiting crisis!

This was the best part. The student leaders are apparently too dumb to understand who is posting what on these forums. Doesn’t bode well for future residency placement and job prospects…

He’s been the biggest “rah rah” podiatry enthusiast on these forums and he just gets slandered and blamed for the SDN anti-recruitment efforts by a bunch of podiatry students 🤣

Reactions: 7 users
What’s the overall percentage of a graduating class that end up ABFAS certified? I mean a large chunk of them are gonna end up abpm peeps anyway

The second best part. You can tell they’ve been convinced they will all become ABFAS certified foot and ankle surgeons. Most of them will realize how dumb this stance is/was in the next 3-7 years, as they enter the job market.

May the odds be ever in your favor

As far as what to say with anything podiatry related that is visible the SCRIPT is.......Podiatry is a great profession, we are valued members of the healthcare team, we work in many settings, we have great hours and are in great demand.

If you don't stick exactly to the script you will be blamed for student enrollment dips. It is not a risky ROI, saturation and rise of the mid levels, nope it is your fault.

Also there are lots of diabetics and old people so podiatry is in great demand now and will be in even greater demand in the future. Don't believe that 2 percent job growth number. Look on job boards, healthdrive is hiring. We need more schools. We can not shrink ourselves into prosperity.

Last edited:
Ha, I saw the letter they sent. Will try and post it as well as a few brief thoughts.

First off, regardless of your position on the CAQ, Dr Rogers is one of the few voices on SDN that has maintained a positive position on podiatry for new students. On this message board we openly mock his optimism, while apparently others blame him for the recruiting crisis! What is bothersome to me about this, is that it reflects the continued failure of our leadership to grasp what challenges new pods face. From useless student groups, all the way to the top of the APMA, they haven't got it yet. The problem is not mean things said on SDN, it’s saturation and poor ROI!! At least Dr. Rogers/ABPM is now admitting we have a problem.

As for the CAQ stuff, seems a bit foolish for a group that is not truly impacted to take a stand on this. Makes me wonder where they are getting their info though. What’s the overall percentage of a graduating class that end up ABFAS certified? I mean a large chunk of them are gonna end up abpm peeps anyway.

Finally my god, the ABPM gave APMSA 80k! I can’t remember what that organization did. I think after finals they provided pizza a few times? That’s crazy.

In conclusion, to any students reading this, do not worry. I will save some toenails for you and by the time you graduate, my group will be ready to hire you. We offer 4 days paid vacation time and the magnificent life changing salary of 100k (no bonus or benefits sorry, but I got mouths to feed)….
OMG this is hilarious. I would listen to a ham sandwich before I listened to a STUDENTS perspective on what is going on in the profession regarding boards, recruitment, job market, etc... Go back to learning the insertion point of the PT tendon

• Haha

First off, regardless of your position on the CAQ, Dr Rogers is one of the few voices on SDN that has maintained a positive position on podiatry for new students. On this message board we openly mock his optimism, while apparently others blame him for the recruiting crisis! ….
Are you sure about this?

Do you ever read his older posts (promoting ABPS, trashing ABPOPPM, stating we are on par with ortho F&A, we are bigtime surgeons, etc). There are many, many of them. Pick anything around his student or resident days. A lot were corrected by mods back at the time of posting for starting conflicts with pods, pre-pods, mods, ortho, and anyone else... or just being plain wrong. Now, LCR edits them whenever people point them out. Later on, he miraculously pulled a 180 to suddenly want what he happened to have (in terms of board cert, positions, etc) and rail against what he did not obtain. The conflict and polarization seems to shadow him, and that's putting it lightly.

The trashing SDN on social media, using position to send email blast to all ABPM members, etc to blame a forum for a recruit crisis that is due to job market, tuition hikes, and many factors was just not a good look. How is that "positive position on podiatry"? Then, later, once the damage is done, "I may have been wrong about that"??? Cmon.

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Man, the APMSA students are so blinded by drinking ABFAS’ kool-aid... If they actually took time to read through the threads they would see Dr. Rogers has been nothing but supportive of the profession (RECENT posts... not the old ones Feli references).

Goes to show you the power of ABFAS’ dangling carrot (you’ll be a “foot and ankle surgeon”.... not a “podiatrist”!). 😒

Good morning collegues, some seem confused about previous post.

Abps is NOT abfas. Please don't try to compare the 2 organizations.

The abps had a "fair" case review process that allowed the surgeon to perform "what they were comfortable with"

Then along came the abfas. The abfas MANDATED what cases you needed to do via "case diversity". The abps also allowed you to defend your positions via the oral test at the Chicago Hilton. Non of this cbps bs. Non of this 4k "to review your failed cases".

The abps at least tried to help the profession out without leaving others behind (grandfathering in collegues, alternative method for certification, ambulatory foot cert).

So yes, if the abfas didn't come along and run the abps into the ground we probably would not be in this situation.

So yes, comparing abps to ABPOPPM is a completely diffrent animal compared to abfas vs abpm now. So since the profession has changed (for the worse in my opinion) peoples views of our boards also change.

Good comments above, but @shadesofgrey is right about the $80k. About $9k per school? How many times does your APMSA rep need to fly out to Washington?

Man, the APMSA students are so blinded by drinking ABFAS’ kool-aid... If they actually took time to read through the threads they would see Dr. Rogers has been nothing but supportive of the profession (RECENT posts... not the old ones Feli references)...
Again, are you sure about that?

We have to discern marketing attempts and self-promotion from actual info, folks.

I have seen threads about fellowship... linking to the fellowship LCR is affiliated with, sponsored by his employer.
I've seen promotion of UTRGV, an obvious feeder for above residency + fellowship.
I have seen case pics intended to promote the same training programs.
I've seen ABFAS criticisms, which is his axe to grind.
There has been bashing of SDN - and basically everything - which are used to frame him or his orgs as the hero.
There is social media recruitment (under ABPM name) of other posters to SDN who fit his agenda, who tend to vanish as fast as they appear.
There has been tattling (backed up by sponsor$hip) to try to censor/ban/suspend anyone who questions his agenda or points out logical holes.
I've seen significant ABPM "info" posted which obviously dovetails to his own interests and perceived 'legacy.'

So, is it purely "supportive of the profession"... or self-promotion and sounding board for agenda? Is it some of both?

...As in anything, learn to differentiate a sales pitch from education or advisement?

Last edited:
  • Love
Again, are you sure about that?

We have to discern marketing attempts and self-promotion from actual info, folks.

I have seen threads about fellowship... linking to the fellowship LCR is affiliated with, sponsored by his employer.
I've seen promotion of UTRGV, an obvious feeder for above residency + fellowship.
I have seen case pics intended to promote the same training programs.
I've seen ABFAS criticisms (and SDN, and basically everything criticisms) which frame him or his orgs as the hero.
I've seen ABPM "info" posted which obviously dovetails to his own interests and 'legacy.'

...As in anything, learn to differentiate a sales pitch from education or advisement?
I guess we each have our opinions. You are pro ABFAS (nothing wrong with that), I am pro ABPM. Thankfully, we both agree on the many challenges our profession faces.

Again, just like I said I don't have a dog in the fight between ABFAS and ABPM, none of us need to have a strong opinion on Lee Rogers or anyone else on this forum or anyone else in the disproportionately numerous alphabet soup organizations within our tiny profession. None of us are saints, we all have personal interests and vendettas, we all have a place we want to get in life. If Rogers can make fat stacks running a residency/fellowship program and being involved with ABPM and selling CAQs, good for him, no skin off my nose. Rogers can do what he needs to do, hopefully he creates more winners than losers in the process.

Again, just like I said I don't have a dog in the fight between ABFAS and ABPM, none of us need to have a strong opinion on Lee Rogers or anyone else on this forum or anyone else in the disproportionately numerous alphabet soup organizations within our tiny profession. None of us are saints, we all have personal interests and vendettas, we all have a place we want to get in life. If Rogers can make fat stacks running a residency/fellowship program and being involved with ABPM and selling CAQs, good for him, no skin off my nose. Rogers can do what he needs to do, hopefully he creates more winners than losers in the process.
I only have ABPM certification and I don't want to see it go under but if the ABPM and ABFAS want to fight I say let them. I live a dull life... so I will grab my popcorn and watch/read.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you sure about this?

Do you ever read his older posts (promoting ABPS, trashing ABPOPPM, stating we are on par with ortho F&A, we are bigtime surgeons, etc). There are many, many of them. Pick anything around his student or resident days. A lot were corrected by mods back at the time of posting for starting conflicts with pods, pre-pods, mods, ortho, and anyone else... or just being plain wrong. Now, LCR edits them whenever people point them out. Later on, he miraculously pulled a 180 to suddenly want what he happened to have (in terms of board cert, positions, etc) and rail against what he did not obtain. The conflict and polarization seems to shadow him, and that's putting it lightly.

The trashing SDN on social media, using position to send email blast to all ABPM members, etc to blame a forum for a recruit crisis that is due to job market, tuition hikes, and many factors was just not a good look. How is that "positive position on podiatry"? Then, later, once the damage is done, "I may have been wrong about that"??? Cmon.

The student letter was ragging on Dr. Rogers for being to negative on SDN and chasing away potential students. All I was suggesting is that compared to most regular posters, Dr. Rogers might be the only one to advocate podiatry as a viable career option. Although as of late, he seemed to admit there was a problem with saturation/low pay, which I view as a positive.

I confess that I have not reviewed his older posts.

I 100% agree that he shouldn't have sent an email suggesting that SDN was the problem and that ABPM members should voice positive opinions. However, I do think it may have helped bring more voices to the table which might have resulted in his recent admission of an issue with podiatry. I don't view him or the ABPM as a hero, but at least he's hear listening/interacting. Where's the ABFAS? APMA, state groups? ACFAS? The leadership is silent regarding the issues we discuss on this forum, and continue to focus on a "enrollment crisis".

The student letter was ragging on Dr. Rogers for being to negative on SDN and chasing away potential students. All I was suggesting is that compared to most regular posters, Dr. Rogers might be the only one to advocate podiatry as a viable career option.

You are correct. Anyone with familiarity of the fall of Sam Harris (or at least the fall of his intellectual honesty and integrity) at the hands of Trump is basically watching the same thing in real time with Feli. LCR is his Orange Man Bad

I confess that I have not reviewed his older posts.

Well they are irrelevant to the topic at hand so don’t bother…

It’s cool to support abfas while you’re a student. The hatred begins as a resident and the despising begins as a young attending

Also Dr. Rogers should make the ABPM(soon to be ABPS) intraining exam count as the real deal as pgy3. Then residents wouldn’t be so pressured to go for abfas

I don't view him or the ABPM as a hero, but at least he's hear listening/interacting. Where's the ABFAS? APMA, state groups? ACFAS? The leadership is silent regarding the issues we discuss on this forum, and continue to focus on a "enrollment crisis".
I agree. He is interacting and listening, which is more than can be said with others.

I'm beginning to fear that @GreenHousePub doesn't read 100% of the posts that are on this forum.
I still haven't figured out what thread the American Samoa stuff was in.

I can think of no organization with more power in the podiatry world than the APMSA. Their letter will echo throughout the mid-70's wallpaper lined clinic halls.

• Haha

I can think of no organization with more power in the podiatry world than the APMSA. Their letter will echo throughout the mid-70's wallpaper lined clinic halls.
I think it’s in the if not podiatry then what thread.

Dr. Rogers might be the only one to advocate podiatry as a viable career option. Although as of late, he seemed to admit there was a problem with saturation/low pay, which I view as a positive.
I was pretty pro podiatry on here until about 6-9 months or so ago. I took a lot of slack for it on here.
That pretty much changed with announcement of the new schools and increasing # graduates that will eventually follow.
Its the stupidest thing ive ever heard and makes a DPM degree nearly worthless in a already saturated job market.

I still dont think we should make board certification easy as cutting a piece of pie.
There are a LOT of bad DPMs out there. I personally know or know of about 25 absolute hacks.

You’re right, APMSA is nothing more than the useful idiots for ABFAS. It’s like when a group of adults convince a bunch of elementary school kids to have a trans rights march at their school. The kids are clueless and powerless to change anything but the activists/political party/etc. gets their message out and creates an optic that is favorable to their group or cause. That’s all this is. Podiatry students getting played by ABFAS and not even understanding that it’s happening.

played-yourself-dj-khaled.gif

• Haha
Spoke to one of my MSG’s urologists today. He has a pretty good idea of DPM training (worked closely w/ Scholl for rotations at one point), schools, saturation, etc.

When I told him we were opening up 2 new schools and that new DPMs outnumbered ortho F&A grads, he just chuckled and said “well... that’s just stupid.” Indeed, MD colleague, indeed. BTW, urology back in the 90s DID shrink itself (successfully) into prosperity after closing a good # of residency programs not affiliated with academic hospitals. Badabing.

BTW, urology back in the 90s DID shrink itself (successfully) into prosperity after closing a good # of residency programs

No sir, we can't do that. There are too many diabetics and vasculopath waiting to get shorter as we speak. Chop chop.

... I told him we were opening up 2 new schools and that new DPMs outnumbered ortho F&A grads...
We've always far outnumbered F&A ortho...
You could have told him DPM residency grads nearly outnumber all ortho grads (total, all specialties)... and probably will soon as the new pod schools increase class sizes.

Uro, optho, derm, plastics etc all do tight control of their residencies to keep demand high, training quality high, applications high quality incomes up. Podiatry? Not at all.

We've always far outnumbered F&A ortho...
You could have told him DPM residency grads nearly outnumber all ortho grads (total, all specialties)... and probably will soon as the new pod schools increase class sizes.

Uro, optho, derm, plastics etc all do tight control of their residencies to keep demand high, training quality high, applications high quality incomes up. Podiatry? Not at all.
Podiatry........the Subway of medical specialties.

DB751DA7-F460-4FB0-8712-518644E2B1F6.jpeg
9C6051B9-AA5D-496A-89DA-FCB5A3B9E6B6.jpeg

Pick anything around his student or resident days.
Seems a little ridiculous to hold any opinion against someone from student or resident days. We all know that we are completely different professionals than we were in those days. Just because he’s a public figure for the profession shouldn’t make him an exception to that rule.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a more idiotic comment than the one below, from PM News. The boards can’t reach a common ground, so let’s create a NEW board.

At first I thought it was an April Fools joke.

RE: APMA Board Certification Summit

It has been a month since the summit regarding the board certification in our profession hosted by APMA took place in DC. Zero has been communicated back to the participants other than a summary and the audio recording. Personally, I spent a few thousand dollars to attend this event, as I’m sure others did. I am retired, due to my disability, but still a passionate cheerleader for our profession. I was optimistic and hopeful that something would have begun. One of the consensus items was a swift and speedy progress; not seeing this, it’s time to begin.

So today, I am proposing a step forward. As the two boards have not reported any progress, I’m offering the creation of a new board, the American Board of Podiatry (ABP). This board will offer certification in basic podiatry that should be attainable after three years of residency training. Additional certificates of added qualification in surgery, advanced surgery, wound care, and trauma, etc. will also be created. Specific names and qualifications for these CAQs to be determined. All those with certifications by ABPM and ABFAS will be grandfathered to the category appropriate.

The other certifying boards (ABLES, ABMSP) would also have their members included in some format, but I’m not knowledgeable of their processes in enough detail to lay them out at this time. Who will run this board? - I’d love it to be an amalgamation of the current approved boards, but if they are unwilling to participate, then I’d leave this open for suggestions. Who’s interested?

Bret Ribotsky, DPM, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

• Haha
In my opinion we should have one board offering no more than 2 types of certification. We don't need CAQs either.

If we merge and you still need a flow sheet to understand all the different types of certifications and CAQs it largely defeats the purpose. One can do a fellowship if they want more specialized experience beyond residency. We are not PAs or Family Medicine with the need for CAQs.

Last edited: