ABEM Oral Boards Prep 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgalt42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my 2022 date for the oral boards. Going to take it in late September. Does anyone want to partner up these next few months to do some zoom practice runs? For those that took it in 2021, how did you study for it? I'm a bit anxious about this new structure interview thing, how did you guys prepare for that portion of it? Main resources I have right now is the latest Okuda book and I just signed up for the Illinois CEP virtual oral board review course. I had heard some good things about it from previous people. Anyways, I really appreciate all your sage advice and help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did Okuda only. And only about 75% of it. Passed on the first try comfortably. There's some ABEM videos online that shows you the format, especially with the new "special case" that they have now, which is stupid and I forgot what it's called.

The oral boards are a game. Play the game, the same way, every single time, and take the points, even if you would never do it in real life. You don't put everyone on oxygen in the ED when they aren't hypoxic? Too bad, Okuda an ABEM will give you free points if you do. You don't call every PCP? Again, do it on the test, take the points.

The key to success is a regimented, deliberate approach. The medicine, from my experience on the oral boards, is very easy. Nobody graduating from an accredited EM residency is failing because they don't know the medicine. They few that do fail, it was a total fluke, nerves, or they deviated from the algorithm.

I zoomed with some friends from residency, went through a handful of cases. It worked well.

Reactions: 1 user
no need to study. 100% of my class passed , (class of 16) and only 3 of them dedicated time to studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone do the AAEM virtual course last year?

Is the 2015 the most recent Okuda book? Anyone look at the First Aid oral boards book?

I know it is always ideal to study with a partner, but for those that ran cases by yourself, what is the most effective way to do that?

I did Okuda only. And only about 75% of it. Passed on the first try comfortably. There's some ABEM videos online that shows you the format, especially with the new "special case" that they have now, which is stupid and I forgot what it's called.

The oral boards are a game. Play the game, the same way, every single time, and take the points, even if you would never do it in real life. You don't put everyone on oxygen in the ED when they aren't hypoxic? Too bad, Okuda an ABEM will give you free points if you do. You don't call every PCP? Again, do it on the test, take the points.

The key to success is a regimented, deliberate approach. The medicine, from my experience on the oral boards, is very easy. Nobody graduating from an accredited EM residency is failing because they don't know the medicine. They few that do fail, it was a total fluke, nerves, or they deviated from the algorithm.

I zoomed with some friends from residency, went through a handful of cases. It worked well.

I had a friend who failed and went through some cases with them. One thing I noticed was that they didn't do the canned phrases that the board exam seemed to want as you said like put 'em on o2, get vitals, I would talk to the patient and their family blah blah blah. I don't know if that was the issue but it was something I noticed and they passed the second time. Probably because they included a picture of their crew.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I had a friend who failed and went through some cases with them. One thing I noticed was that they didn't do the canned phrases that the board exam seemed to want as you said like put 'em on o2, get vitals, I would talk to the patient and their family blah blah blah. I don't know if that was the issue but it was something I noticed and they passed the second time. Probably because they included a picture of their crew.

Critical action, there.
Doing the important things.

Anyone down to study? PM me. I am taking it in September.

Hey guys,

Just got my 2022 date for the oral boards. Going to take it in late September. Does anyone want to partner up these next few months to do some zoom practice runs? For those that took it in 2021, how did you study for it? I'm a bit anxious about this new structure interview thing, how did you guys prepare for that portion of it? Main resources I have right now is the latest Okuda book and I just signed up for the Illinois CEP virtual oral board review course. I had heard some good things about it from previous people. Anyways, I really appreciate all your sage advice and help! Thanks!
It’s a really stupid test. Passed comfortably. Watch the video on the standardized interview thing, because it’s a little wonky.

I didn’t feel like studying independently and my employer paid for a prep course so I took the icep one.

Illinois course was similar to real thing. They kind of play up the difficulty though. Real thing was easier.

As above, the medicine is very easy. The format is the only difficulty

Agree with above - don't "study" for oral boards, "practice" for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure you are practicing right stabilizing the patient before getting the history

Members don't see this ad :)
Just reviving the thread since some of you have taken the oral boards already earliest this year? Any other tips or things to watch out for for the zoom test?

Anyone do the AAEM virtual course last year?
Yes and I now am a test proctor for them. I liked the course. If anything it just helps you feel what it’s like doing cases before test day. I thought it was worth it, but plenty of people pass without taking courses too. That being said some who do not pass at first take the course then pass. It depends on your learning style and how much effort you put into preparation.
I found it very helpful to just go over cases with someone. Find someone who is taking it at the same date as you (or around the same date) as you have the same level of need/motivation to study.
I used okuda and a few cases from pearls and first aid, AAEM course, passed on first try. It’s bread and butter stuff you know how to manage if you graduated from residency. Just know you have to verbalize things you wouldn’t normally verbalize.

I dont recommend this. I barely studied, although I passed, it was a needlessly stressful experience.
Agreed you should study. It isn't the same "sure thing" as in the past.
Only 88% of examinees passed the oral exam in May 2022

Framed another way, 12% of EM docs that did well on the MCAT, good on their STEP 1, 2, 3, experienced 3-4 years EM training in residency with annual in-service exams, and scored well on their ABEM written boards... still failed oral boards. 12%. That is a lot compared to what it used to be -- and it sucks.

I did the AAEM course along with their Pearls book -- and read First Aid for EM Oral Boards + most of Okuda.
Overkill? Maybe, I dunno. I passed it first try [but def didn't ACE it]. So, if I could go back in time, I certainly wouldn't choose to study less.

I use little to none of the knowledge/skills from my version of the oral boards in my actual daily subspecialty practice -- quite glad ABEM is largely behind me.

Last edited:
Agreed you should study. It isn't the same "sure thing" as in the past.
Only 88% of examinees passed the oral exam in May 2022

Framed another way, 12% of EM docs that did well on the MCAT, good on their STEP 1, 2, 3, experienced 3-4 years EM training in residency with annual in-service exams, and scored well on their ABEM written boards... still failed oral boards. 12%. That is a lot compared to what it used to be -- and it sucks.

I did the AAEM course along with their Pearls book -- and read First Aid for EM Oral Boards + most of Okuda.
Overkill? Maybe, I dunno. I passed it first try [but def didn't ACE it]. So, if I could go back in time, I certainly wouldn't choose to study less.

I use little to none of the knowledge/skills from my version of the oral boards in my actual daily subspecialty practice -- quite glad ABEM is largely behind me.
I was so sure I bombed that I told the last examiner “see ya next year.”. Hah was surprised to pass.

I was so sure I bombed that I told the last examiner “see ya next year.”. Hah was surprised to pass.

I was so bombed that I told the examiner "see ya next year". Wasn't surprised to pass.

(not really; but had to turn-the-word-order because internet).

I'd also recommend studying. I took it in May and passed, but the passing score was 5.25, and my score was 5.29. A pass is a pass! I felt fine on exam day with my performance but obviously it was marginal. I only did maybe 12-15 cases out of Okuda and only in the couple of weeks before the test. Learn to play the game, practice playing the game, or you may end up 0.04 points on the wrong side of things and have to pay to play again.

Did anyone use the First Aid for the Energency Medicine Oral Boards book that came out in 2018? I first used Okuda, but the cases in the First Aid book read like a long convo. Not sure how to incorporate that into studying with a partner, unless I memorize line by line the interaction which seems kinda unnecessary and tedious. Thanks in advance!

Anyone else taking it this coming month in September? PM me if you want to link up to study some cases. I have both okuda and the first aid book. Thanks!

Taking mine in November (AOBEM) anyone want to practice?

Is it me or is this Okuda book heavy on overtresting/treating? Seems to recommend putting everyone on O2, CXR, type and screen, etc. but I think the boards take resource utilization into account with grading?

Is it me or is this Okuda book heavy on overtresting/treating? Seems to recommend putting everyone on O2, CXR, type and screen, etc. but I think the boards take resource utilization into account with grading?
Okuda book is dated, but so are the examiners. I did the right things and passed, YRMV.

I seriously doubt that unless you have specific, certifiable compelling evidence to suggest you are right.

I seriously doubt that unless you have specific, certifiable compelling evidence to suggest you are right.
Resource Utilization
This rating is used to evaluate a candidate’s logical organization and efficiency when using the resources of the simulated setting. This includes the selection and use of laboratory tests, evaluation and treatment procedures, emergency department personnel, and the candidate’s personal resources. Examples include the following:
• Used an integrated plan to collect data and use emergency department resources
• Used medical logic and economical efficiency when ordering and using resources

Detailed Performance Criteria: Oral Exam Page 2
• Ordered symptom-specific studies, and avoided ordering studies that are not germane to the case
• Ordered appropriate advanced imaging studies, e.g., it is rare that both a CT and MRI of the head would be necessary
• Ordered diagnostic imaging in pediatric patients that does not use ionizing radiation when satisfactory alternative imaging is available
• Exhibited other traits or actions that reflect logic, cost sensitivity, and limited patient discomfort or exposure

Took boards last month, hasn’t updated with pass/fail yet but now showing LLSA available. Does that mean I passed?

As long as you give everyone a line, cardiac monitor, supplemental oxygen, turkey sandwich, and Press Ganey (with indirect instructions to check all the top boxes) then you’re off to a good start.

Welp, just took the test. I royally screwed up my last case, likely missed one critical action and did a procedure without talking to patient. But I think the other cases actually went really well. Anyone know of anybody who screwed the pooch on one case but ultimately passed?

I took it in Nov and passed. On one case I didn’t get the diagnosis at all, had no clue what I was even treating. I forgot a UPT on two young female patients, forgot to consent for a procedure on another. The intrusive thoughts I had until I got my passing score kept me up at night, but rest assured that you can **** up and still pass.

Reactions: 1 users
I took it in Nov and passed. On one case I didn’t get the diagnosis at all, had no clue what I was even treating. I forgot a UPT on two young female patients, forgot to consent for a procedure on another. The intrusive thoughts I had until I got my passing score kept me up at night, but rest assured that you can **** up and still pass.
No worries on the urine pregnancy test. In real life it’s ordered but always the last thing collected.

Yes also curious to when the results are coming out for May 2023??

Anyone have any status updates in their abem portal regarding scores/certification? It's been over a month now. Seems like last year scores always came out around the 30 day mark.
Yeah, December 2022 oral boards was from 12/7 to 12/9, and it looks like the posted scores on 1/9. So they're going a lot slower with this bunch of exams. I guess it could really be any given weekday at this point.

It's frustrating to have to keep waiting, especially when they've been released earlier in the past. Hate the feeling of did I pass constantly popping up in my head. My workplace benefits also immediately increase with certification. It's 2023. We pay a lot for this exam. Shouldn't take this long.
Especially taking this on zoom from home. Honestly very confused on what the deal is.

Especially taking this on zoom from home. Honestly very confused on what the deal is.
You didn’t have to go sit awkwardly in a hotel room with another person occasionally with another person watching from in the corner?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they continue the online test given the likely significant cost savings.

You didn’t have to go sit awkwardly in a hotel room with another person occasionally with another person watching from in the corner?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they continue the online test given the likely significant cost savings.
Cost savings? Not for us taking the exam haha

Well, yeah, I didn’t mean cost savings for you or me but cost savings for the ones who run the machine. Cost savings = more money for them.
Absolutely, so do you know when we getting the results?? I'm tired of this looming over my head

So one of my friends called abem and was told it’ll be another couple weeks.
I believe the abem admin are at their biannual Hawaii get away on your dime. They will try to get to the scores when they return, first class, to their gold plated office.

Queen Elizabeth GIF

• Haha