AAS Degrees in Paramedical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M4ttjabz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of community colleges offer 2 year Associates of Applied Science degrees to become a paramedic. Do credits from these degrees transfer to a 4 year school? If so, how many years do think I could knock off of a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry? I'd like to eventually go to medical school, but being a paramedic wouldn't be a bad back-up career. I've looked into B.S. paramedic programs, like UMBC's B.S. in Emergency Health Services, but I question the marketablity of an EHS degree, how would medical schools look at this type of degree? Also, I know community college nursing programs can be very competitive, are the paramedic programs hard to get in to? If anyone knows anything about the UVa / PVCC Paramedic program, I would appreciate your opinions...

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed a lot of community colleges offer 2 year Associates of Applied Science degrees to become a paramedic. Do credits from these degrees transfer to a 4 year school? If so, how many years do think I could knock off of a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry? I'd like to eventually go to medical school, but being a paramedic wouldn't be a bad back-up career. I've looked into B.S. paramedic programs, like UMBC's B.S. in Emergency Health Services, but I question the marketablity of an EHS degree, how would medical schools look at this type of degree? Also, I know community college nursing programs can be very competitive, are the paramedic programs hard to get in to? If anyone knows anything about the UVa / PVCC Paramedic program, I would appreciate your opinions....

A guy in my med school class has a BS in EMS. (he also is an RN) Personally, I think my degree in German Literature is much more marketable :laugh: Monroe Community College in Rochester, NY has a great AAS paramedic program...As far as transfering credits, it probably depends on what kind 4 yr degree you're going for....probably wont take much time of a bio or chem degree.

M4ttjabz said:
I've noticed a lot of community colleges offer 2 year Associates of Applied Science degrees to become a paramedic. Do credits from these degrees transfer to a 4 year school? If so, how many years do think I could knock off of a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry? I'd like to eventually go to medical school, but being a paramedic wouldn't be a bad back-up career. I've looked into B.S. paramedic programs, like UMBC's B.S. in Emergency Health Services, but I question the marketablity of an EHS degree, how would medical schools look at this type of degree? Also, I know community college nursing programs can be very competitive, are the paramedic programs hard to get in to? If anyone knows anything about the UVa / PVCC Paramedic program, I would appreciate your opinions...

thanks

it's useless and a waste of time

no degree is needed to be a paramedic, and few if any classes at all transfer

medical schools won't even consider the credits when factoring your gpa

such degrees also have a very low acceptance rate to med school

Ah the old Associates vs. Paramedic dilemma. In Ohio (and perhaps nationwide), there is a big push to transition all paramedic programs to degree programs. There are still a lot of non-degree programs out there, though.

In all honesty, I doubt that very many of your credits will transfer to a four year school. Many nursing and paramedic programs have chemistry, biology, A&P classes that are geared toward those professions. Typically, these courses will NOT count as the medical school pre-reqs. (And therefore, probably not count toward a degree in Bio or Chem) I took an A&P class that was listed as a "Fire Science Technology" course - I referred to it as A&P for Dummies. It was not even close to being as difficult as the nursing A&P or pre-med A&P. Probably the only courses that will transfer to a four year degree would be English and Math.

As far as a four year degree and med school - the word I got from a couple of Deans was that they really don't care what your degree is in, as long as you have taken (and done well in) the pre-med courses of Biology, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Gen Chem. As a side note, art history and foreign language majors have a higher percentage of applicants admitted to medical school than biology or chemistry majors.

That being said - if you decide to pursue the four year EMS degree, make very sure that you are taking the Biology, Chemistry, Ochem, and Physics classes that are required for degrees in those majors (or are listed as the courses for pre-meds). These will most likely count toward your EMS degree, but the science courses recommended for your EMS degree will probably NOT count toward med school pre-reqs. At many schools (not all), even the nursing majors do not take the biology and chemistry that med schools want.

In the grand scheme of things, if you really want to be a paramedic, but aren't sure about going on to med school, take a certificate program, get out and the field and get some experience. Don't waste the extra time on the paramedic degree. Then - if you decide med school is what you want, you can go to a four year school and get the classes you need.

Good luck!!

Amy