AAP Conference 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoc91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

The conference is in Chicago this year, and I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to best make connections as I'm looking to match in TX. I tried searching for when medical student/program director introductions or residency program intros are but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone that's done this before point me in the right direction? All I'm seeing is the workshops and specialty events they will have.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

In the exhibition hall, there are lots of hospital booths set up--checking them out might yield you a program director, but I don't know how many I saw from Texas. Asking your advisors about networking events might also yield something, as there are lots of alumni/program events held in conjunction with large conferences.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if networking at the AAP conference will make a difference for the pediatric residency match. It would be more effective for the fellowship match and definitely matters a bit when you are looking for attending gigs but probably not much as a medical student applying for residency. However, if you are presenting research and are looking for collaboration at a certain institution then it may matter more.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!

The conference is in Chicago this year, and I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to best make connections as I'm looking to match in TX. I tried searching for when medical student/program director introductions or residency program intros are but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone that's done this before point me in the right direction? All I'm seeing is the workshops and specialty events they will have.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not certain what you are looking for here. NCE is not really designed for that purpose and although there are departmental social events, they are largely not intended for residency applicants. Nonetheless, when you get there, look at the posted bulletin boards for information on departmental social events. Most won't have them but perhaps some will. Also, some of the larger children's hospitals will have booths in the exhibition area you can go to. None of these are likely to be all that helpful, but you might find someone to chat with, likely not the PD though. Regardless, this isn't really a necessary or all that useful thing in the application process.

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Meeting someone at a conference for 5 minutes will not help you match somewhere. Go to the conference if you're interested in the conference but don't go trying to secure a residency spot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user