AAMC Section Bank vs. FL1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wreckem16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently one month out from my MCAT date, have taken 4 NS practice exams, and was planning on taking 2 more practice exams. Would you recommend taking FL first, then section bank in two weeks, or section bank first and FL as my last thing before the real test? Or should I skip section bank completely and just take FL 1 & 2???? TIA!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should do all AAMC stuff including QPACK, Section Bank, AAMC sample, and all 3 FLs.

Reactions: 1 user
seconding this. I did full lengths on days I had a lot of time and did section &/or Q bank on shorter days.
Unfortunately I don’t have time to do all of these things because I’m only 3 weeks out from my test date and I’m still taking classes full time and in a research lab as well. I only have time for 1-2 more practice tests total
So I have to pick from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that the first full length on AAMC is the least like the real MCAT and that 2 and 3 are much more like the real thing.

Also, when you practice the CARS section, read each passage twice before answering the questions. When I took the MCAT in January the passages were twice as long as on the practice tests and I ran out of time whereas I was finishing with more than 10 minutes left on my practice.

Unfortunately I don’t have time to do all of these things because I’m only 3 weeks out from my test date and I’m still taking classes full time and in a research lab as well. I only have time for 1-2 more practice tests total
So I have to pick from there.

RIP what were your NS full lengths? If I were in your shoes I would probably do FL 2 and 3 plus the SB.

Do as many AAMC exams as time allows (to both take it AND review/analyze it in detail), and use the Section Bank like a question bank for additional practice. Expect the real exam on test day to be a little harder than the AAMC full-lengths, but not as hard as the Section Bank. However, expect that *individual* passages on the real test will be fully of Section Bank difficulty, you'll just get a reprieve (in most cases) with a few easier passage mixed in.

Then give serious consideration to voiding depending on how you feel on exam day, and what your full-length scores end up being. I've helped 100+ students personally prep for this exam and destroy it...it has never proven to be a good thing when you feel rushed for time and have to "pick and choose" what you cram into the last few weeks. Ideally, you should go into the exam having confidently attempted and analyzed all of the best resources available to you. This helps your confidence tremendously, which always improves your score!

Reactions: 1 user