AAMC PREview Score Importance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceJam430

Reaction score
So my score on AAMC PREview was an 8 (apparently 98th percentile), and I had a couple of questions about it.

1. Do all schools see the score, and do they all take it into account? Or is it just the ones that say they do?
2. How much does this help/hurt my chances? Does it actually do anything at all for most schools?
3. How accurate is this thing? Is it better/worse than CASPER?

Members don't see this ad.

Great job!

1) Just like the MCAT, scores are seen by the schools you designated who opted in to view your scores. No one else who did not opt in will see your scores.

2) The schools should tell you. No one knows.

3) No one knows. The test is still too new, and none of the pilot schools required Casper as far as I know. Frankly Casper doesn't give us a lot of information to compare to do that wotk without Altus.

The goal is to avoid eliminating yourself from consideration. But as with all things holistic, it is just a data point with no additional value without context of your application.

Great job!

1) Just like the MCAT, scores are seen by the schools you designated who opted in to view your scores. No one else who did not opt in will see your scores.

2) The schools should tell you. No one knows.

3) No one knows. The test is still too new, and none of the pilot schools required Casper as far as I know. Frankly Casper doesn't give us a lot of information to compare to do that wotk without Altus.

The goal is to avoid eliminating yourself from consideration. But as with all things holistic, it is just a data point with no additional value without context of your application.
Ah got it, thanks so much! I was looking at Geisinger (my top choice so I'm very nervous) and they said they don't require it, but is it like a soft requirement? I.E. if you don't take it, and there's a small difference between you and someone who did do well, then it could be the thing that sets you apart? Or is it not significant enough for that?