AAMC Preview and Casper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
from here, there are a good amount of schools that require or recommend aamc preview. For the schools that recommend it, will we be at a disadvantage if we don't take it (even though its so new)?
Just asking because I need to know whether to stretch my budget for this (after already spending so much on MCAT prep and saving for med school apps...)

Mostly looking for adcom advice here, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Only 16 MD schools are participating in PREview. If these are not schools on your list, no need to take it.

CASPer is more widespread with 44 schools asking for it, and you probably can't avoid it

Reactions: 1 user
Only 16 MD schools are participating in PREview. If these are not schools on your list, no need to take it.

CASPer is more widespread with 44 schools asking for it, and you probably can't avoid it
Yeah, I'm definitely taking casper. The thing is, some of the schools on my list (like GWU) "recommend" preview. Does that mean I'm basically required to take it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm definitely taking casper. The thing is, some of the schools on my list (like GWU) "recommend" preview. Does that mean I'm basically required to take it?
In general, yes. PREview is brand new, so no one here can tell you for sure one way or the other. But, in general, common sense dictates that applicants that do not do something that a school "recommends" will be at a disadvantage to those who follow the recommendations. Otherwise, the schools wouldn't bother to make the recommendations. Be guided accordingly.

Reactions: 2 users
In general, yes. PREview is brand new, so no one here can tell you for sure one way or the other. But, in general, common sense dictates that applicants that do not do something that a school "recommends" will be at a disadvantage to those who follow the recommendations. Otherwise, the schools wouldn't bother to make the recommendations. Be guided accordingly.
In a follow up to this question -- Only one of the schools I am applying to requires PREview. Would it be in bad taste to email the Ad Com and ask if they would be willing to consider casper scores as an alternative?

In a follow up to this question -- Only one of the schools I am applying to requires PREview. Would it be in bad taste to email the Ad Com and ask if they would be willing to consider casper scores as an alternative?
The problem is: The school is not registered with Altus to receive reports, and I'm sure they wouldn't do it just for you.
Could you leave off that one school from your list if you object?

If that school's admissions dean is the PI on the PREview study, such a request may not have the desired result.

Last edited:
  • Love
It's not about good taste or bad taste. They certainly considered CASPer, since it has been around far longer, and chose to go with AAMC's alternative instead. They are not going to waive a new requirement for anyone.

I actually considered skipping CASPer, and probably would have if it was only required by 1 or 2 of my schools. But, I ended up needing it for something like 6 or 7 schools, so I just bit the bullet and did it.

Seriously, I know it sounds like heresy to suggest this, but your odds of success at any one school are quite low. It's not crazy to consider bailing on something like this if only one school requires it.

It's your call, but the odds of not applying to a single school changing the trajectory of your life are miniscule. If it's your top choice, just suck it up. Otherwise, skip it and apply to another school instead.

Ask if you feel you must. The school won't hold it against you, but there is no way they are either going to accept a score they are not set up to accept (if they are not on the CASPer list, how is CASPer supposed to get the score to them?), or flat out waive this for you.

Last edited:
TL/DR. Yes.

The two tests are completely different, and there is not a concordance table like there is for interchanging SAT or ACT.

It's not about good taste or bad taste. They certainly considered CASPer, since it has been around far longer, and chose to go with AAMC's alternative instead. They are not going to waive a new requirement for anyone.

I actually considered skipping CASPer, and probably would have if it was only required by 1 or 2 of my schools. But, I ended up needing it for something like 6 or 7 schools, so I just bit the bullet and did it.

Seriously, I know it sounds like heresy to suggest this, but your odds of success at any one school are quite low. It's not crazy to consider bailing on something like this if only school requires it.

It's your call, but the odds of not applying to a single school changing the trajectory of your life are miniscule. If it's your top choice, just suck it up. Otherwise, skip it and apply to another school instead.

Ask if you feel you must. The school won't hold it against you, but there is no way they are either going to accept a score they are not set up to accept (if they are not on the CASPer list, how is CASPer supposed to get the score to them?), or flat out waive this for you.
This is very helpful advice. I think your perspective makes a lot of sense, and I did really like this school a lot, so I may consider reaching out to them. Thank you for your time and assistance.

If that school's admissions dean is the PI on the PREview study, such a request may not have the desired result.
Is there any way to find this out without asking directly?

The problem is: The school is not registered with Altus to receive reports, and I'm sure they wouldn't do it just for you.
Could you leave off that one school from your list if you object?
Thats a good point. I did submit the application, but I may consider reaching out to the school to see if it is mandatory because on the AAMC website it said "research only" which I wanted more clarification on

Search the dean's publications.
Not sure that will help since the study is probably not published. This sort of thing is kept confidentially within the AAMC group. This includes how admissions and student activities advisors who were surveyed to develop the answer key.

Not sure that will help since the study is probably not published. This sort of thing is kept confidentially within the AAMC group. This includes how admissions and student activities advisors who were surveyed to develop the answer key.
They may be able to intuit the answer from my response, though!

Reactions: 2 users
They may be able to intuit the answer from my response, though!
True, but it's not a secret they will look at PREview results. What is known is that every school may use this information completely differently from one another. Might as well just as them directly.

Just posted a new podcast episode with reps from the AAMC discussing the PREview exam. All Access: Med School Admissions

• Love
Just posted a new podcast episode with reps from the AAMC discussing the PREview exam. All Access: Med School Admissions
Thank you; your questions to the test representatives in this podcast helped get to the specifics of what to expect.