AAMC Preliminary background check. Does this make sense to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billbob1234

Reaction score
Hello all,

Question for you - I recently received my first acceptance (yay!) however I have come across some seemingly conflicting information in the 2020 AMCAS guide regarding preliminary background checks. I'm wondering if you all know if the preliminary report (which I participated in this summer prior to application submission and is outlined below) is utilized by schools for the infamous "AAMC facilitated background check".

Another way to phrase what I'm asking is - have I done the official background check required by most medical schools 6 months ahead of time? Is what I'm viewing going to be released to medical schools come Jan 1st? Or does the school who granted me an acceptance already have it?

Below is copied and pasted from the 2020 AMCAS guide. I'm getting conflicting information from points 2 and 3. I'm wondering if you all would be able to help clarify?
  1. If you have submitted an AMCAS application to schools participating in the Criminal Background Check Service, you may obtain a preliminary background report before the report is requested by and released to participating institutions by visiting Application Station (https://applicationsta- tion.certiphi.com/) and using this code: CERTAP2020. Applicants are responsible for the discounted cost of the preliminary background report, which is $71, plus any fees for international research. For more information, please contact Certiphi Screening’s Applicant Services team at 800-803-9582
    or [email protected].
  2. The preliminary background report is for your information only and will not be made available to any school participating in the AAMC-facilitated Criminal Background Check Service.
  3. Upon your initial, conditional acceptance to an additional participating medical school, the background check report will be made available to other participating medical schools offering a conditional acceptance after Jan. 1.
  4. The background check will not be released to any party other than the medical school(s) requesting it.
  5. History in the background check report that may include infractions and juvenile records will be displayed to you, but medical schools’ policies vary with the content that they can and will view.
Many thanks!
Bill

Members don't see this ad.