AAMC FL 500, should I postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego253

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been studying for this test since June and I recently took the aamc sample and FL1 and got 500 on both. My goal is a 516+. I rushed through content review and now am realizing i don't know some important concepts well enough (physics 2 topics, much of ochem, and the organ systems). I am also HORRIBLE at understanding the experiment part of the passages.

I am registered to take it Sept 11, but I feel like I should postpone it to Jan 2022 or next summer. The thing is I will be in school full time and dont know if I will have time to dedicate to studying everyday, plus I really would like to apply by next cycle. I have these 4 weeks to prep and I dont want to give up but I also do not want to waste any more AAMC material.

What should I do? Any advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have your application in this cycle then it's up to you to gauge how you feel towards a re-take. In my opinion focus on school and give yourself time afterward to really focus on studying. Having a gap year isn't too bad and I personally would highly recommend it to relax and enjoy life. It's good you recognize that you are missing important concepts and also took into account issues you noticed in the exam. What is your study routine or at least "ideal" routine like?

Reactions: 1 user
If you're scoring around 500s, then chances are slim you'll be able to get 516+ on a September 11th exam. I took my exam in January and it was fine studying in school, you just need to really grind during winter break.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're scoring around 500s, then chances are slim you'll be able to get 516+ on a September 11th exam. I took my exam in January and it was fine studying in school, you just need to really grind during winter break.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
that makes sense, I am on the quarter system so I only have a 3 week break do you think its possible to complete most of the aamc material in that time?

Cancel the September date before it counts as an attempt.
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success.
yes will do, I tihnk I have until sept 2 to cancel. Thanks for the reminder and advice!