AAMC #7 Bio Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuro27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions for those of you that have done AAMC#7 Bio.

A student uses thin layer chromatography on silica plates to monitor the progress of the reaction below. Does the product have a higher or lower Rf than the starting material?

.........NaBH4
Ph=O --------> Ph-OH

a)higher because the product is more polar than the starting material
b)higher because the product is less polar than the starting material
c)lower because the product is less polar than the starting material
d)lower because the product is more polar than the starting materal

I put (A), but the answer key says (D). I thought polar molecules travel faster than non(less)polar molecules, thus have higher Rf?
Embryonic mouse cells divide every 10 hours at 37 degrees C. How many cells would be produced from an egg after three days?

a)fewer than 50
b)between 50 and 500
c)between 500 and 5000
d) more than 5000

I put (B), but the answer key says (D).
The IR spectrum of Compound 8 (some molecule in passage) shows hydroxyl and carbonyl absorptions, respectively, at approximately:

a)1700 and 2250
b)1700 and 3400
c)3400 and 2250
d)3400 and 1700

I put (D) but the answer key says (B).

It seems like there are errors in the solution and the explanations doesn't seem to match up with questions. Any thoughts on these question?

If I get these question right, I can get 12 on this section and be a good confidence booster. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is an error with 166 and 171 :confused: but for 163 polar substances travel slower on the TLC plate so D is the correct answer. Good luck on it and wish me one as well!

Neuro27 said:

A student uses thin layer chromatography on silica plates to monitor the progress of the reaction below. Does the product have a higher or lower Rf than the starting material?

.........NaBH4
Ph=O --------> Ph-OH

I put (A), but the answer key says (D). I thought polar molecules travel faster than non(less)polar molecules, thus have higher Rf?
Embryonic mouse cells divide every 10 hours at 37 degrees C. How many cells would be produced from an egg after three days?

a)fewer than 50
b)between 50 and 500
c)between 500 and 5000
d) more than 5000

The IR spectrum of Compound 8 (some molecule in passage) shows hydroxyl and carbonyl absorptions, respectively, at approximately:

a)1700 and 2250
b)1700 and 3400
c)3400 and 2250
d)3400 and 1700

It seems like there are errors in the solution and the explanations doesn't seem to match up with questions. Any thoughts on these question?

If I get these question right, I can get 12 on this section and be a good confidence booster. :)

schoi401 said:
I think there is an error with 166 and 171 :confused: but for 163 polar substances travel slower on the TLC plate so D is the correct answer. Good luck on it and wish me one as well!

When determining polarity here can you look at the respective shifts on C NMR to get an idea?

Thanks,

schoi401 said:
Yeah, I reviewed o-chem again and you are right, polar molecules travel slower on TLC. O-chem is my weakest strength. :scared: I think I need to do slightly more reviews on Friday.

Good luck to you too. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

.........NaBH4
Ph=O --------> Ph-OH

a)fewer than 50
b)between 50 and 500
c)between 500 and 5000
d) more than 5000

a)1700 and 2250
b)1700 and 3400
c)3400 and 2250
d)3400 and 1700

#133 is actually B. 2 to the 6th power is 64 so after six doublings or 72 hours, there will be 64 eggs. So answer B is correct: between 50 and 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.