*AAMC 5 spoiler removed*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idrinkwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The full redox reaction goes like this.

Cu(s) + HNO3 = Cu(NO3)2 + NO2 + H2O

Does anyone know how to derive the above from just the reactants Cu(s) and HNO3 ? The long method of redox reactions does not work here.

I dont get how one can arrive to the products from just knowing the reactants. Why is there an NO2?

Are there other similar redox reactions or rather miscellaneous redox reactions we should all know about? If so, please list here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did over 2000 practice MCAT chemistry questions, and ran across this situation exactly once, on cbt3. Honestly, knowing that the money metals like copper and gold do funny stuff with acid is all you'll need to know.

If you are really pedantic, just memorize this equation, and you'll be able to apply it to similar scenarios.

You have bigger fish to fry for this test.

The full redox reaction goes like this.

Cu(s) + HNO3 = Cu(NO3)2 + NO2 + H2O

Does anyone know how to derive the above from just the reactants Cu(s) and HNO3 ? The long method of redox reactions does not work here.

I dont get how one can arrive to the products from just knowing the reactants. Why is there an NO2?

Are there other similar redox reactions or rather miscellaneous redox reactions we should all know about? If so, please list here. Thanks.
It is extremely apparent you are taking this question from AAMC 3, so your attempt to violate the stickied rules by posting the question in a new thread without citing the source is not appreciated.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.