This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braces or nah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long story short, last year I was arrested for possessing marijuana, I took part in a conditional discharge program and my charge was dismissed after my successful completion of the program. I'm currently in the process of applying to dental schools and on the AADSAS application it specifically states:

"Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations?"
My answer: NO (Lawyer confirmed)

& it also states:
"If yes, enter a brief explanation of the charge(s), the date(s) of the charge(s), current status, and outcomes.
ADEA AADSAS requires you to report any convictions. You may also be required to report one or more of the following types of records directly to your designated dental school with details about the judgments or disciplines:
  • Misdemeanor convictions
  • Arrests for misdemeanors and felonies
  • Adjudication withheld
  • Nolo contendere
  • Plea bargain"
Now I would like to mention my arrest to dental schools instead of them finding out from my background check (I don't even know if it'll appear on here, but better safe than sorry) but I hit a problem because if I answer no to the first question I cannot enter an explanation stating my arrest.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I would report this to my dental schools (no secondaries).
I was thinking I just answer 'Yes' to be able to write a description of my situation and say: "I have not been under charge or convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, but I have been arrested for possessing a small amount of marijuana".
If anyone has any other suggestions it would greatly be appreciated!

PS: Please try not to start a whole debate on weed or be judgmental. I know this is SDN and we can't help ourselves, but please try. :boom:

Members don't see this ad.

No judgement, soon it would be legal everywhere. Make sure you are not arrested again though
Why don't you write your story in a personal statement, because you are not really convicted, but still want to be open or inquire at the admission office of a couple of schools
Are you able to talk to the supervising officer, the one who signed you for the program, to figure out if all that even going to show on your record?

I'd also probably write yes; however, why not call up some of the schools you intend to and see if they deem it necessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was you,I wouldn't put it on there. I got arrested for the the same thing a few years ago, went through the same program you did, and charges were dropped. I'm not in dental school(yet), but I did have a few career jobs in the business world and not once was it brought to my attention. I'm almost 100% positive it won't show on there.

I would leave it as no. You weren't convicted and you currently aren't charged. That's what the question asks so answer it correctly and move on.

First of all, you should listen to your lawyer, not us! If you were not convicted then in the law's eyes you did absolutely nothing wrong so you should definitely select "No". I have no idea how background checks work, I also don't know if you pleaded "no contest" or made some other sort of concession to avoid a conviction so like I led off with, go with the lawyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm mainly confused about this because my lawyer told me to say no for the conviction part, but then told me to list it and tell the dental schools because of the fact that they mainly care that you're honest and aren't trying to hide anything. It would of been a lot easier if AADSAS let me select no and still write information, but I can't which is why I'm so confused here -_-.

You must find out if it is still on your record. Do a background check on yourself, if necessary. If there is no trace of what happened, never speak of it.

This. Pay to do a check on yourself. Decide from there.