AACOMAS GPA wrong--anyone in the same boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stardust379

Live what you love.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just received my verification email today and after my AACOMAS GPAs were calculated, I saw them and am pretty sure they're wrong.

I have retaken a lot of classes so maybe it was confusing for them to be able to calculate the GPAs (not sure how they do it--pretty sure they have some sort of calculator). Using the grade replacement policy, I have calculated my GPAs several times manually and using the AACOMAS GPA calculator posted on SDN. Pretty sure they screwed up on the overall science and overall/cumulative GPAs. I retook my classes through my undergrad school's Extension program, so I'm sure there isn't any confusion in terms of transferring credits or proper class replacement.

I emailed them ASAP to let them know of their error because that's what they told us to do on the instructions if there were any GPA discrepancies. I let them know of my own GPA calculations.

Is there anyone that was in the same situation? How soon did AACOMAS get back to you about your GPA inquiry? Worried about how long this might take because they can take pretty long to get to inquiries.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you make sure that you used the correct classification for your classes? They have different sGPA standards than AMCAS, like public health is sGPA but math courses aren't. They got back to me pretty quick, but that was because my issue was an academic update one, not a initial verification one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious... how far off was it?
My sGPA was 0.15 points off. cGPA wasn't too bad, it was about 0.02 points off than what it should have been.

There was a lot of back and forth going on about this with AACOMAS through email. In the end, I sent them documents that showed exactly how I calculated my sGPA and cGPA--that way they know I'm not just pulling these numbers out of the air. Showed the exact calculations step by step in a nice little table, so hopefully they'll recalculate the GPAs for me.

Also realized they messed up on my inorganic chemistry GPA...

Did you make sure that you used the correct classification for your classes? They have different sGPA standards than AMCAS, like public health is sGPA but math courses aren't. They got back to me pretty quick, but that was because my issue was an academic update one, not a initial verification one.
Yup, I did. I didn't include math and haven't taken any public health courses. The only extra classes, in addition to the prereqs, that I factored into my science GPA and that should count according to AACOMAS course subjects is my biochemistry and ecology courses.

The exact same thing happened to me! It was resolved and changed within 2 hrs of calling them.

The exact same thing happened to me! It was resolved and changed within 2 hrs of calling them.

Wow really? I thought they said we shouldn't call so I didn't try handling the GPA business with them via phone call. Did they say anything about you talking to them about the issue via phone?

Wow really? I thought they said we shouldn't call so I didn't try handling the GPA business with them via phone call. Did they say anything about you talking to them about the issue via phone?
You definitely need to call for them to resolve it quickly. Person on the phone pulled up my account, agreed there was something wrong and forwarded this problem to another department for me. My gpa was calculated around .34 off since they counted my first attempts of classes (not just the retakes as it should be).

You definitely need to call for them to resolve it quickly. Person on the phone pulled up my account, agreed there was something wrong and forwarded this problem to another department for me. My gpa was calculated around .34 off since they counted my first attempts of classes (not just the retakes as it should be).
Great, thank you so much!

So I just called and told them I sent an email to AACOMAS with all of my detailed calculations and stuff and the guy said he forwarded everything again to the verification staff because they apparently didn't see the email yet. Just got an email from the staff saying they're working on the issue and will let me know of any changes they make to my GPA, if they do.

Did you get an email of the sort after speaking to AACOMAS as well? Sorry for all the questions, just sooo antsy about this!

Great, thank you so much!

So I just called and told them I sent an email to AACOMAS with all of my detailed calculations and stuff and the guy said he forwarded everything again to the verification staff because they apparently didn't see the email yet. Just got an email from the staff saying they're working on the issue and will let me know of any changes they make to my GPA, if they do.

Did you get an email of the sort after speaking to AACOMAS as well? Sorry for all the questions, just sooo antsy about this!
Yes! I got the same email, and then about 5 notifications around 2 hours later saying, "coursework verified." Don't worry! I was literally freaking out when I first saw the gpa they initially calculated.

Yes! I got the same email, and then about 5 notifications around 2 hours later saying, "coursework verified." Don't worry! I was literally freaking out when I first saw the gpa they initially calculated.
YAY! Okay phew! Hope they see where they made their mistakes!!

5 notifications later? They sent you that many?! Haha what kind of notifications?

Thanks so much btw for replying back so soon!!

EDIT: They messaged me back and it turns out they didn't really count ANY of the Extension courses as retakes. So angry. Emailed them and about to call them right now.

Last edited: