AACOMAS Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eeebsmeebsheeb

Reaction score
I’m still a bit confused about the AACOMAS application, and if there is a benefit of applying early or later between June 15. Say I have all my essays, letters (Interfolio), and MCAT ready by May 4th. If someone submits their application completely in the first week of May (person A), do they have an advantage over someone who submits their app the first week of June (person B)? I know the primaries get released to all schools June 15th. But would person A’s primary be released earlier to the schools over person B? And would that mean that person A is ahead in line of person B to receive secondaries from those schools giving them an advantage? Or would person A and B receive secondaries the same time? Meaning that there really is no advantage to sending the primary in early May, as long as it is in before June 15th. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m still a bit confused about the AACOMAS application, and if there is a benefit of applying early or later between June 15. Say I have all my essays, letters (Interfolio), and MCAT ready by May 4th. If someone submits their application completely in the first week of May (person A), do they have an advantage over someone who submits their app the first week of June (person B)? I know the primaries get released to all schools June 15th. But would person A’s primary be released earlier to the schools over person B? And would that mean that person A is ahead in line of person B to receive secondaries from those schools giving them an advantage? Or would person A and B receive secondaries the same time? Meaning that there really is no advantage to sending the primary in early May, as long as it is in before June 15th. Thanks in advance.
From what I can understand, and I am also not a 100% sure. All applications if they are submitted and processed by June 15th will be released at the same time to schools. The way UNE COM made it seem was that there is no advantage to applying right on May 4th; however they did say apply "early" just meaning apply when ready (don't rush) take the time to get everything right and submit prior to June 15th if you can so the processing of the application can be done and your application can be released by that date. Schools from what I've heard don't really give secondaries until end of June/July.
It's great you're prepared! I am too, I just will be incapacitated (covid vaccine part 2 right when the application opens). And I want to make sure my activities list looks good before I submit.

Some schools will also download the apps in stages. If there are 5000 ready on the first day they may only download a thousand at a time so as not to be overwhelmed with payments of the app fees which for some triggers the app processing. If you are ready then get it in and that is one thing off your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patience is a virtue; the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

Just get your app in by early October and you'll be fine (for DO).

Patience is a virtue; the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

Just get your app in by early October and you'll be fine (for DO).
Thanks for the input, I mean I have been preparing for reapplication since early March and I have spent quite some time on my PS / activities, so I don’t really think I’m rushing to submit my primary. I’d rather just get it submitted so that’s one thing off my mind as someone mentioned and then I can focus on my secondaries.

Also Goro, are you saying that there is no advantage of applying early for DO schools? Up until now I always thought early applications (without rushing) are key for improving success rate for an application cycle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I mean I have been preparing for reapplication since early March and I have spent quite some time on my PS / activities, so I don’t really think I’m rushing to submit my primary. I’d rather just get it submitted so that’s one thing off my mind as someone mentioned and then I can focus on my secondaries.

Also Goro, are you saying that there is no advantage of applying early for DO schools? Up until now I always thought early applications (without rushing) are key for improving success rate for an application cycle.
As the DO cycle is longer, I don't see any true advantage to applying early.

Reactions: 1 user