"A vital drug runs low, though its base ingredient is in many kitchens"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDBro2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since this topic was brought up in another thread, I figured it was time to make a thread about the sodium bicarb shortage that is going on. APhA and now The New York Times have both covered the topic. Any tips/advice on how your pharmacy is getting by? Discuss the shortage, who is using sodium acetate, etc. One poster mentioned his sodium bicarb at Wags being USP, what are everyone's thoughts on all of the above? I know we have pulled it from our omnicells, leaving it solely in the crash carts I believe.

APhA: "Hospitals around the United States are scrambling to stockpile vials of sodium bicarbonate solution, despite the fact that its base ingredient of baking soda is found in most kitchen cabinets. The nation's only two suppliers have run out of the drug, which is vitally important for all kinds of patients whose blood has become too acidic. "As I talk to colleagues around the country, this is really a problem we're all struggling with right now," says Mark Sullivan, head of pharmacy operations at Vanderbilt University Hospital and Clinics in Nashville. One of the suppliers, Pfizer, has said that it had a problem with an outside supplier but that the situation worsened a few weeks ago. Pfizer and the other manufacturer, Amphastar, have said they do not know precisely when the problem will be fixed; but it will not be before June for some forms of the drug, and in August or later for other formulations. Without an abundant supply of sodium bicarbonate, some hospitals are postponing elective procedures or making difficult decisions about which patients merit the drug. At Providence Hospital in Mobile, AL, supplies ran so low a few weeks ago that Gino Agnelly, the head pharmacist, embarked on a desperate scavenger hunt, culling vials from the 50 crash carts that were stowed around the hospital."

NY Times article link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/...olution-critical-shortage-hospitals.html?_r=0
"Hospitals around the country are scrambling to stockpile vials of a critical drug — even postponing operations or putting off chemotherapy treatments — because the country’s only two suppliers have run out.

The medicine? Sodium bicarbonate solution. Yes, baking soda.

Sodium bicarbonate is the simplest of drugs — its base ingredient, after all, is found in most kitchen cabinets — but it is vitally important for all kinds of patients whose blood has become too acidic. It is found on emergency crash carts and is used in open-heart surgery and as an antidote to certain poisons. Patients whose organs are failing are given the drug, and it is used in some types of chemotherapy. A little sodium bicarbonate can even take the sting out of getting stitches.

“As I talk to colleagues around the country, this is really a problem we’re all struggling with right now,” said Mark Sullivan, the head of pharmacy operations at Vanderbilt University Hospital and Clinics in Nashville.

Hospitals have been struggling with a dwindling supply of the medicine for months — one of the suppliers, Pfizer, has said that it had a problem with an outside supplier but that the situation worsened a few weeks ago. Pfizer and the other manufacturer, Amphastar, have said they don’t know precisely when the problem will be fixed, but it will not be before June for some forms of the drug, and in August or later for other formulations.

The shortage of sodium bicarbonate solution is only the latest example of an inexpensive hospital staple’s supply dwindling to a critical level. In recent years, hundreds of generic injectable drugs have become scarce, vexing hospital administrators and government officials, who have called on the manufacturers to give better notice when they are about to run short.

Without an abundant supply of sodium bicarbonate, some hospitals are postponing elective procedures or making difficult decisions about which patients merit the drug. At Providence Hospital in Mobile, Ala., supplies ran so low a few weeks ago that Gino Agnelly, the head pharmacist, embarked on a desperate scavenger hunt, culling vials from the 50 crash carts that were stowed around the hospital.

Mr. Agnelly said he had been getting by with a supply of about 175 vials when a patient with a heart problem suddenly needed 35 of them.

He called a meeting of doctors and administrators, and they came to a difficult conclusion: They would need to postpone the seven open-heart operations that were scheduled for the next week. One critically ill patient was sent to a hospital across town because his surgery could not be delayed, Mr. Agnelly said.

Pfizer sent an emergency shipment a few days later, but the continuing shortage has forced Mr. Agnelly to make hard choices.

“Does the immediate need of a patient outweigh the expected need of a patient?” he asked. “It’s a medical and ethical question that goes beyond anything I’ve had to experience before.”

Erin Fox, a drug shortage expert at the University of Utah, said unexpected shortfalls of critical medicines had become routine. In 2014, a shortage of saline solution — salt water — sent hospitals into a similar panic. This is not even the first time that the supply of sodium bicarbonate has run out. The last shortage occurred in 2012.

“It is unbelievably frustrating,” Ms. Fox said. “It makes me so mad that we are out of these really basic lifesaving medications.”

Mr. Sullivan, of Vanderbilt, said the shortages typically occurred with cheaper, “bread-and-butter” hospital drugs, leading him to question whether manufacturers were investing enough in the production process needed to make a reliable supply.

“The specialty, high-dollar medicines — I don’t ever seem to see them experiencing shortages with those products,” he said.

Gino Agnelly, the head pharmacist at Providence Hospital in Mobile, Ala., has had to be careful with his supply of sodium bicarbonate injections.

The situation with sodium bicarbonate solution appears to have begun in February when Pfizer, the main supplier, announced it was in short supply, Ms. Fox said. A spike in demand then led Amphastar to run low. Now, even less-than-ideal alternatives to sodium bicarbonate, such as sodium acetate, are difficult to obtain.

Kuldip Patel, the associate chief pharmacy officer at Duke University Hospital in North Carolina, said he had become accustomed to the juggling act required when an old standby was suddenly unavailable.

“It’s not like we haven’t been here before,” he said.

Mr. Patel said the problem had worsened just after Pfizer went from shipping its generic injectable products from five regional warehouses to one national distribution center, part of a reorganization after its acquisition of the drugmaker Hospira.

“That’s when it all derailed,” he said.

A spokesman for Pfizer said the shortage of sodium bicarbonate was not related to the change in distribution, but was due to a manufacturing delay caused by an outside supplier. The spokesman, Thomas Biegi, said the delay had not been caused by a problem with the supplier of the raw ingredient, sodium bicarbonate, but he added that he could not divulge further details, citing confidentiality agreements.

Regardless of the reason, Mr. Patel said, drug companies should do a better job of creating contingency plans for keeping vital drugs in supply, especially during transitions.

“In situations like this, where a major manufacturer is buying out another major manufacturer of critically needed drugs, there has to be a detailed backup plan in case things don’t go smoothly,” Mr. Patel said.

Mr. Biegi said Pfizer was working hard to fix the problem. “Pfizer has a dedicated team focused on working with suppliers to address this and have already taken several steps to expedite supply recovery of this drug,” he said.

Andrea Fischer, a spokeswoman for the Food and Drug Administration, said companies were asked to notify the agency of problems, but “there are no requirements that firms keep emergency supplies or that they stock up prior to any changes they make.”

She said the agency was in close contact with the companies and “exploring all possible solutions to this critical shortage, including temporary importation, to help with this shortage until it’s resolved.”

Ms. Fischer said the agency had recently made progress in preventing supply problems. In 2011, it tracked 251 new shortages, an all-time high. But by 2016, she said, there were only 23 new shortages. Currently, more than 50 drugs are classified as being in shortage on the F.D.A. website.

“Unfortunately,” she said, “not all shortages can be prevented.”

The shortage problem has been traced to a confluence of factors, ranging from problems with suppliers of the raw ingredients to trouble at the aging facilities where many of the most inexpensive generics are made. Consolidation in the industry has also reduced the number of companies producing certain drugs, so that when one company has a problem, the other quickly runs out as well.

Ms. Fischer said the F.D.A. gave the approval process a priority status when a company wanted to enter a market that was in short supply.

Some large hospitals, such as Duke, house so-called compounding pharmacies, which can make custom batches of generics like sodium bicarbonate. Mr. Patel said that Duke was in the process of doing just that, but that setting up the process took time. The solution must be pure and sterile because it is injected into the bloodstream.

At Providence Hospital in Mobile, Mr. Agnelly said he was so desperate that he had done an internet search to investigate if he could safely mix his own batch with some baking soda and water. The hospital does not have a compounding pharmacy.

He discovered just one research paper, dating to 1947, when doctors did exactly that during World War II

“This is not new technology. These are not expensive materials,” Mr. Agnelly said, adding that he quickly abandoned the idea. “It’s not what you would expect in the First World.”"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If a company like Pfizer just produced a bunch of sodium bicarb vials, would they need an ANDA to be approved? Or could it just be sold as a USP product with no particular indication/dosing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wonder why only two companies make such a common product in the first place.

If a company like Pfizer just produced a bunch of sodium bicarb vials, would they need an ANDA to be approved? Or could it just be sold as a USP product with no particular indication/dosing?
Good question. After all, what's stopping them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

If it's a low profit product, what's stopping them from just discontinuing it? Kinda scary tbh, it's almost like some of these drugs should be supplied by the government who doesn't have a profit motive... Nvm.

Markets provide for what is profitable, not what is necessary. Free marketeers will blame the FDA on this one

Markets provide for what is profitable, not what is necessary. Free marketeers will blame the FDA on this one

But doesn't it go back to the FDA?

When a product is short, people will pay more for it. Hospitals are willing to pay a premium to get this, because of the absolute need for it. So companies have every incentive to jump in and start making it, to sell it at the premium.

This is exactly how it worked when pharmacists were in shortage. For better or worse, the free market answered the shortage, and now pharmacists are everywhere.

The ONLY reason why the free market can't jump in and answer the sod bicarb shortage is the FDA. For better or worse, the FDA IS responsible for the current sod bicarb shortage, because they are the bottleneck delaying/preventing other companies from jumping in to fill the shortage.

The regulatory framework is well-established for ANDAs, if not necessarily predictable. FWIW these products in shortage are technically unapproved drugs (and I don't work for the FDA so I don't know what considerations the agency takes into account regarding handling unapproved drugs hitting the market without FDA approval, which happens all the time, or products that have been commercially available forever yet have never undergone approval), so how exactly is the FDA at fault here.

Bump. Anyone work in compounding? I assume they'd be cranking it out by now and making bank on this stuff in a situation like this...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I transferred 3 omeprazole suspensions to the local independent compounders today

Does Cutis not make their pre-packaged suspension kits anymore? (vanco, PPIs, and metronidazole)

I had to convert someone on HD-MTX to an IV acetazolamide/oral sodium bicarbonate regimen for their urine alkalization protocol. Suck suck suck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
What a stupid article. It doesn't even address the real issue.

There are only a few companies making products like sodium bicarbonate 8.4% IV because it is not profitable.

It goes on shortage because as soon as something gets changed in the manufacturing process, a quality assurance issue, it backs up production of the product, and correct me if I am wrong, but the company is required to notify the FDA.

Yes, sodium bicarbonate is available in baking soda. That's not an excuse for why there shouldn't be a shortage of sodium bicarbonate IV. If it is, then go inject that baking soda powder into your patient. There are shortages because there is no regulation of products other than safe and effective, and certain quality standards must be met. As soon as a manufacturer changes one thing in how their product is made, it can create a shortage.

We have too many shortages in this country. The FDA cannot control that.

We need the government to regulate life saving, critical medications. The government should pay companies to keep X amount of life saving, critical product available at all times. Without such an organization, expect to see even more drug shortages in the future.

If sodium bicarbonate doesn't make Pfizer enough money, it will be discontinued.

Look what happened to Tham several months ago.

We have had shortages with epinephrine, lidocaine, procainamide, sodium bicarbonate, sodium acetate, atropine, calcium gluconate, calcium chloride, heparin, etc. This is unacceptable for the United States.

If the government can pay farmers to overproduce in the interest of food and national security, the same can be said about critical, minimally profitable medications.

I hate farm subsidies with a passion, but people are literally dying, at least there are months of grain in storage somewhere (and last I checked, it's the opposite of starvation that's the problem in this country).

I had to convert someone on HD-MTX to an IV acetazolamide/oral sodium bicarbonate regimen for their urine alkalization protocol. Suck suck suck.

We're using Sodium Acetate in place of Sodium Bicarbonate at my hospital during the shortage.

Now there's a Methotrexate shortage though. That's tougher to get around, although we haven't actually run out yet.

We're using Sodium Acetate in place of Sodium Bicarbonate at my hospital during the shortage.

Now there's a Methotrexate shortage though. That's tougher to get around, although we haven't actually run out yet.

Can't get acetate here, that would have been a no-brainer

If the government can pay farmers to overproduce in the interest of food and national security, the same can be said about critical, minimally profitable medications.

I hate farm subsidies with a passion, but people are literally dying, at least there are months of grain in storage somewhere (and last I checked, it's the opposite of starvation that's the problem in this country).

Or the patients could be charged enough to make the bicarb profitable

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with this logic, although presumably you know that most patients don't pay out of pocket for their medications. In the inpatient setting it's the hospital that would bear the brunt of the cost, while in the outpatient world either the pharmacy or the insurance would bear it.

I don't disagree with this logic, but the reasons why that's not entirely feasible is outlined in the reply above.

I agree with this logic, although presumably you know that most patients don't pay out of pocket for their medications. In the inpatient setting it's the hospital that would bear the brunt of the cost, while in the outpatient world either the pharmacy or the insurance would bear it.

I'm with you on current structure.

I'm saying the structure should change to patient actually being liable for bills or they don't get the item

Didn't know of the methotrexate shortage.

Didn't know of the methotrexate shortage.

I'm not a hospital pharmacist so I'm not extremely familiar with the laws/guidelines, but couldn't it be sterile compounded? Sodium bicarb is an actual USP powder available for compounding. All that needs to be done is add the powder to sterile water inside of a sterile hood. But again, that's not my specialty.

Alsovjust calling it "baking soda" is a little misleading because it implies the only option left is buying a box of Arm&Hammer from the dollar store, which is not the case at all.

So I think you have a few different issues going on. One is that just because something is USP does not make it sterile. The Sodium Bicarb compounding USP powder that I am familiar with doesn't state that it is a sterile product and just adding it to sterile water under a hood isn't going to make it become sterile. Of course there might be a sterile product powder I am not familiar with, in which hey go for it.

But setting aside the issue of sterility and going along with your logic, why buy the compounding sodium bicarbonate powder at all (I am assuming you mean the compounding powder you can get from say Medisco), why not just go out and some Walgreens brand baking soda since it has the USP designation? Literally the only ingredient listed on the label is sodium bicarb USP. Why pay extra just to buy it from Cardinal?

Even running it through a 0.2 micron filter won't eliminate the risk of pyrogens. Powder weights can change based on atmospheric hydration as well - caking of powders is a manifestation of this (nuisance in the kitchen, quite relevant in the lab/pharmacy). The shortage is crappy for us, physicians, and patients. I remember being even more embarrassed when we couldn't get sterile water for injection awhile back. That was sad...

Considering we're typically giving it to septic patients I'd rather someone not compound with the arm & hammer that's packaged in the same cardboard box as my cereal...

Reactions: 2 users