A typical academic schedule at a DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Britton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone elaborate on a typical academic schedule for a DPT program. That is, the number of credits, course names, study hours per week, ect. Also does anyone know of Jefferson's program as well as Drexel's. Thanks for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So i take it there is no time to really work and bring in any money with that type of work load. Student loans?

No, you cannot work. I know a few people who had been PTAs, and did some per diem work here and there. However, it wasn't much, and they were already at an advantage because they had been working as PTAs for many years and therefore they already knew a lot of the stuff that was new to everyone else. Nearly everyone takes out student loans unless you have some type of prepaid program that your grandparents did or money set aside or whatever. It's a 2.5yr $30,000 program.

It must be hard to pay that off making a dPT salary as well...

Not really. The typical DPT graduate has about $30,000 worth of loans. You'll be making nearly double that when you graduate. That ratio is pretty good considering a lot of teachers and business degree grads start out at less than $20,000 a year with just as much debt. You make monthly payments, there's no set time you have to have them paid off by. It's reasonable to have them paid off within 3-5 years.

I assume dPT in California make slightly more? I really am interested in the field but the money kind of scares me. Is one of the best ways to maximize your profits as a PT to own a private practice or clinic?