A true opinion of MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what people's perceptions were about MSUCOM. I was just invited for an interview, but I have already been accepted to some other schools and don't really know if I should go. MSUCOM has been at the top of my list and I was really excited about getting an offer to interview. However, I have also heard mixed reviews of the school, both from people I have spoken with and reading the interview feedback on SDN. Does anyone out there want to share their opinion with me about MSUCOM? Any students want to share their concerns and/or what thye really like about the school? I just need some feedback before I make this decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current undergrad at msu right now. i was accepted to msucom but will be attending ccom. msucom is a great school, it is just not for me. reasons for going to the interview - if you are focused on primary care, they are a great school that really strives to create primary care docs. also, since the campus is huge and is a major house of research, thats great if you are looking for some research. the campus is nice, and so is the surrounding areas. its not a big metro area, but if you dont mind smaller cities than that is good. detroit is only about an hour away. their faculty is great also. i didnt really like the facilities too much. they are kinda of old but i guess they get the job done. their rotations are pretty good too. the students can rotate through some really great osteopathic hospitals and can rotate through the allopathics as well. all of the sites are in michigan, mostly in the detroit area and some in lansing and a few others in the west side of the state. i guess i just wanted to go elsewhere because i am from detroit and love the big city life. if you have any more specifics, i can help ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,
I am a Yr.I student at MSUCOM, and I really like it here. I have enjoyed the faculty and the staff as well as my colleagues very much. I am from the greater Detroit area and E.Lansing is a very busy place, especially with the MSU crowd around. It is definitely not like detroit, but better in terms of no violence, and quiet a big student population.
Regarding the school, as mentioned they have some great rotation sites, which are probably one of the best. The housing around in neither very expensive nor cheap, it is kinda in between.
The faculty is really good an so is the administrative staff.
So I would recomend you coming over the MSU one if you are from MI and other if you are looking for a very good school.
Hope it helps
:clap:

Hi I'm a third year student from MSUCOM, based at MSUCOM. Something you should consider is that Michigan has the most DOs in the nation as well as the largest amount of osteopathic hospitals.

Since most MSUCOM grads get their #1 or #2 spot at in-state residencies, it might behoove you to get a jump on familiarizing yourself with these hospitals.

Many of the other osteopathic schools send their students to MI hospitals because their states lack osteopathic training hospitals. If you don't intend to do an osteopathic post-graduate training it probably doesn't matter where you attend medical school. It would just be more convenient to familiarize yourself with a large group of well-respected osteopathic hospitals if you were at MSUCOM.

I have enjoyed my education at MSUCOM. The administration is outstanding. The faculty are very dedicated. The facilities are adequate- you're only missing out on aesthetics not what you'll functionally need. Much of medical school is learning from medical school course packs and review books, so any facility will do just fine.

Best of luck deciding what's right for you.

Hi there,

I hope it's not too late to answer your post! I am currently a first year student at MSUCOM and am extremely pleased with my experience thus far. The best thing about it is the noncompetitive atmosphere that you find. Students are always willing to help you out and the comradery is especially evident during the weeks when you need it the most! Even though I did my undergraduate studies at MSU, it was still a huge adjustment for me during the first semester. With a caring faculty and a lot of people who are willing to help you out, it can make a big difference in not only your academic performance but also in your feelings of self-satisfaction from the experience.
Being connected with a large university, MSUCOM offers you so many opportunities to get involved both within the school and within the community. We strive to get individuals involved with community activities and it gives us the opportunity to get out there and start practicing our clinical skills from the first semester onward. It's true that MSUCOM leans toward primary care, but a lot of people also go into specialties and there are many opportunities to learn about them!
It's true that there are areas of the school that need repair, but that truly has nothing to do with your learning. Our OMM lab was recently renovated and is state-of-the-art! Our labs are also undergoing some refurbishing little by little. So, if being with a group of genuinely caring students and an intense yet "doable" academic curriculum is your thing, give it a try. I hope you'll see that it was worth your while. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck!
Julia

Thank you all for your responses, they have been most helpful. I am going for my interview in a few weeks and I look forward to checking out the campus and the town. MSUCOM was definitely one of my tope choices when I initially applied, and hopefully it will still be once I have visited. I just hope I get accepted, especially since I have gotten myself all psyched up to attend school there. Thanks again, and if I have any other questions I know there are extremely nice MSU students who will help me out.

Kat13,
I just wanted to wish you good luck at your interview! I think you'll find it to be a very fun day.

I grew up in the East Lansing area, and I absolutely love MSU, so I was really excited to get accepted there. Hopefully I'll see you at MSUCOM next year :)

-Ali

ok- so I am a Michigan resident who did not go to MSU(despite a a long family history of spartans) and here are my reasons!

1. wanted more diversity
2. wanted big city hospitals
3. wanted to find a school in an area I would be happy in after school was finished and residencny starts
4. wanted to go to a school in a state (other than MI, and PA) which require the extra year of internship for licensure

liked the NY metro area-

I ended up at NYCOM and am very happy...........
but I still cheer for the spartans when it comes to athletics-Go State

4. wanted to go to a school in a state (other than MI, and PA) which require the extra year of internship for licensure

I'm not sure if I understand this. Last I checked, NY doesnt require the internship for licensure. Am I missing something?

I think what the last poster trying to say is that there are five states that requires DO to have one year of AOA internship before they can be licensed to practice there.