A strange question regarding letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onetimeuseacc

Reaction score
Please don't quote as I will delete this post later.
Hello everyone, I am planning on applying during next year's cycle. Currently I am working in a research lab and have my name on three papers, one of them first author. Unfortunately, my relationship with my boss has been deteriorating gradually over the past few months, and they constantly belittle my work/threaten to write a poor letter, and as such my lab work has been getting progressively more miserable. I am planning on staying in this lab until all of these publications are out at the very least as I would hate to lose a year of labor. However, my worry is in the letter of recommendation I would get from this person.

My boss talks about people behind their back quite frequently, including our own lab's members. This makes me extremely paranoid about the letter I would receive (if they would even write one in the first place, which I am beginning to doubt). I graduated last year, and this will have been my only employment (thus far) after graduation.

Would it appear bad if I applied next cycle without a letter of recommendation from my PI? On one hand, I feel as though my productivity in my lab speaks for itself, but I worry that without a letter it'll come off sketchy. At the same time, I worry about putting in a mediocre LoR as I have great confidence that the other letters I'll be submitting are stellar. This is something I've been stressing about for some time, and it's getting to the point where I'm loathing being in the lab/continuing this process. I should point out that I have an LoR from my PI in undergraduate with whom I had a great relationship, as well as an LoR from employment I was involved in for two years at college.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. (Posted on an alternative account for complete privacy)

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't quote as I will delete this post later.
Hello everyone, I am planning on applying during next year's cycle. Currently I am working in a research lab and have my name on three papers, one of them first author. Unfortunately, my relationship with my boss has been deteriorating gradually over the past few months, and they constantly belittle my work/threaten to write a poor letter, and as such my lab work has been getting progressively more miserable. I am planning on staying in this lab until all of these publications are out at the very least as I would hate to lose a year of labor. However, my worry is in the letter of recommendation I would get from this person.

My boss talks about people behind their back quite frequently, including our own lab's members. This makes me extremely paranoid about the letter I would receive (if they would even write one in the first place, which I am beginning to doubt). I graduated last year, and this will have been my only employment (thus far) after graduation.

Would it appear bad if I applied next cycle without a letter of recommendation from my PI? On one hand, I feel as though my productivity in my lab speaks for itself, but I worry that without a letter it'll come off sketchy. At the same time, I worry about putting in a mediocre LoR as I have great confidence that the other letters I'll be submitting are stellar. This is something I've been stressing about for some time, and it's getting to the point where I'm loathing being in the lab/continuing this process. I should point out that I have an LoR from my PI in undergraduate with whom I had a great relationship, as well as an LoR from employment I was involved in for two years at college.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. (Posted on an alternative account for complete privacy)
Some schools will require a PI letter if you have one (Ie Harvard, CCLCM, Penn) but they are few and far between. It won’t matter at 95% of schools, but depending on the school list you will be applying to it may matter.

Reactions: 2 users
Some schools will require a PI letter if you have one (Ie Harvard, CCLCM, Penn) but they are few and far between. It won’t matter at 95% of schools, but depending on the school list you will be applying to it may matter.
I already have a PI letter from the lab I worked in at my undergrad, so this one would be from my employment post-graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
- toxic-appearing PI
- only post-graduate employment
Would it appear bad if I applied next cycle without a letter of recommendation from my PI?
Don't ask this PI for a letter. Not worth the risk. Not having a letter is much better than getting a mediocre or negative letter. You already have a letter from another PI, and your publication(s) from your current job will show your contribution to the research. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't ask this PI for a letter. Not worth the risk. Not having a letter is much better than getting a mediocre or negative letter. You already have a letter from another PI, and your publication(s) from your current job will show your contribution to the research. You'll be fine.
A lot of schools ask about employment post-graduation. Would it appear strange if I write about my two year stint in this lab and omit the letter? I appreciate your response.

A lot of schools ask about employment post-graduation. Would it appear strange if I write about my two year stint in this lab and omit the letter? I appreciate your response.
It's only strange if you make it strange. A lot of people do not submit letters from their 'gap-year' employers for a myriad of reasons.

And honestly, even if it was strange, I still would not submit a letter if it was likely to be toxic. "Better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

It's only strange if you make it strange. A lot of people do not submit letters from their 'gap-year' employers for a myriad of reasons.

And honestly, even if it was strange, I still would not submit a letter if it was likely to be toxic. "Better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".
Thank you, you've lifted a colossal weight off my shoulders!!

You pick the best letters you can get. No one will question that

Reactions: 3 users
My boss talks about people behind their back quite frequently, including our own lab's members. This makes me extremely paranoid about the letter I would receive

A fine example of why one should always be professional around their colleagues.

No, not at all. Most pre-meds vastly overestimate the value of a PI LOR, unless they're gunning for MD/PhD

Reactions: 1 users
No, not at all. Most pre-meds vastly overestimate the value of a PI LOR, unless they're gunning for MD/PhD
What if you're planning on applying to research powerhouses like op likely is (with 3 pubs)?

My list will probably be top heavy as I have a 3.8+ GPA and a 518+ MCAT. Given that I have a letter from my undergrad PI, would that still be alright?
It will be fine. If you get rejected or waitlisted, it would not be because of your lack of a letter from your current PI. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user