A solid research training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roinom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting med school in January, European school.

In short:
I want a solid research training. I've seen some portrait of researchers and many of them have said "I started on in a basic research lab, when I then moved on to the more applied medical research, I felt I had a strong background and it was easier due to my years in the basic research lab". The track look like: basic research -> clinical research (-> epidemiology).

My experience so far, we've kind of different in Europe, no pre-med or so, so I am only 20 years old and have one article under review right now in epidemiology. I don't know yet if epidemiology is the thing I would like to continue in, but it was a great experience.

Future goal is to match the MD/PhD-program (it starts the 3rd year of med school).

So I would just like to have some input if this basic research experience is essential to a succesful career in research? Did you go for this track, ie aiming for clinical research but starting out in a basic research lab?

Members don't see this ad.