A question from a medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJCU05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am a student in a medical school that offers a postgraduate program in neurosurgery, how easily could I get into the program compared to other applicants who graduated from some other medical schools? Would my school consider my application to that residency program equally like any other residency matching program applicants?

Thanks greatly to any one who may contribute his or her thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd get a better answer from the current residents or the neurosurgery faculty or perhaps your dean. But, I think, general programs would look favorably upon an applicant whom they know firsthand rather than an unkown or someone who has only spent a few weeks at the program. You still have to show them that you are a qualified applicant. Talk to the department and get involved.

mpp, let me ask you a few questions.
1. Could a neurosurgeon who completed his or her 7-year residency perform all neurosurgical procedures? Or, must he or she be more specialized through a fellowship?

2. Which neurosurgery subspecialty is the most financially rewarding? And how long is its fellowship?

Thanks in advance for your greatly appreciated help.

The only true sub-specialty of neurosurgery (one with its own board certification) is pediatric neurosurgery.

After completing a 7-year residency a neurosurgeon should be able to perform all neurosurgical procedures. That being said, many neurosurgeons, especially those wishing to choose the academic route, will do a 1 to 2 year fellowship to gain more proficiency, but it is not required. Available fellowships include vascular, tumor/oncology, skull base, pain, functional, peripheral, and pediatrics. The other aspect that determines whether a neurosurgeon will complete a fellowship is the exposure during their residency. Peripheral nerve surgery is an example of a very, very small field within neurosurgery and therefore most graduate of a neurosurgery program would not have enough exposure during their residency to be competent at these cases and would likely need a fellowship.

Currently, the most lucrative subspecialty of neurosurgery is spine, especially in private practice. Spine fellowships are typically one year. But again, unlike orthopedic surgeons, a spine fellowship is not required for a neurosugeon to focus almost exclusively on spine work. Academic spine is a different matter and a person would likely need to be fellowship trained before being considered for a position at an academic center as a spine surgeon.