A question about the difficulty level of classes

mudkipz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
First of all,I took a look at all the subforums,and I thought this one might be the best to post my question in.I hope I didn't get it wrong.

Now to my question.I was wondering how much time it takes(or how much time is given) to memorize the whole human metabolic pathway.Like,how many sessions of the course it is taught in,how many courses are needed to get to that point of putting that humongous thing to memory.

https://bioryactor.files.wordpress...._pathways_for_plotter_landscape_quantized.png

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

nobody memorizes that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,thanks for replying!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/metabolic-pathways.775948/

I got curious about it because of this thread,which I found on google.Post #24 claims to have drawn all of it from memory,and the other posts refer to the difficulty of memorizing metabolic pathways,but with no real picture reference,so I was just assuming everyone had to memorize that particular one too?Sorry if I got something wrong,english isn't my first language

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,thanks for replying!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/metabolic-pathways.775948/

I got curious about it because of this thread,which I found on google.Post #24 claims to have drawn all of it from memory,and the other posts refer to the difficulty of memorizing metabolic pathways,but with no real picture reference,so I was just assuming everyone had to memorize that particular one too?Sorry if I got something wrong,english isn't my first language

You might need to learn the Krebs cycle and a few basic short pathways in biochem for about one test, but nobody is going to bother with what you've imaged.

I don't even know if it's possible to memorize that beast...

Guys, there are some pathways that are worth memorizing for a specific test -- I recall knowing the entire lipid biosynthesis pathway for about 2 weeks in 2001. I could draw it on a blackboard. I thought I was awesome. And then I took the test and moved on to something else, with the newfound knowledge that I was, in fact, not awesome.

Knowing glycolysis and the Krebs cycle might be relevant for some people, but for most it's a party trick and nothing more. Why would you memorize something so easy to look up? If you end up as a clinician-scientist with an appointment in molecular biology, then you will know everything about a very small section of the posted diagram. I'm a practicing physician-scientist at a huge academic center and I can tell you that nothing on that diagram comes up on a daily basis for me.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a reason that the metabolic pathway is posted on the walls of my lab. Not even the biochemist MD/PhDs that I work with have that thing completely memorized

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys,that really cheered me up.I was developing inferiority complexes because of that :-D