A precarious MA program?- Uni of Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tears for susan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Eugene would be such a nice place to study, but just looking at the first paragraph of their program webpage raises some flags for me:

"The University of Oregon Individualized Master's Program in Psychology is designed to provide advanced training for a small number of individuals who have a clearly focused research interest and an academic plan. Unlike other master's programs, this program is not designed for general master's level training in psychology. Nor can we provide clinical training (practica and skills development) at the master's level. Rather, we expect persons entering the master's program to be highly self-motivated, with the goal of acquiring conceptual and research skills appropriate to their own work plans. Each program of study will be tailored to the individual student's goals within the discipline, so long as it satisfies core master's degree requirements. "

More info at:
http://cas.uoregon.edu/uogetpage.php?page=http://psychweb.uoregon.edu/

Cant provide clinical training? Should i even consider this program if i ultimately want to earn a Psy.D, or perhaps go right to practicing after an MA?

Members don't see this ad.

Eugene would be such a nice place to study, but just looking at the first paragraph of their program webpage raises some flags for me:

"The University of Oregon Individualized Master's Program in Psychology is designed to provide advanced training for a small number of individuals who have a clearly focused research interest and an academic plan. Unlike other master's programs, this program is not designed for general master's level training in psychology. Nor can we provide clinical training (practica and skills development) at the master's level. Rather, we expect persons entering the master's program to be highly self-motivated, with the goal of acquiring conceptual and research skills appropriate to their own work plans. Each program of study will be tailored to the individual student's goals within the discipline, so long as it satisfies core master's degree requirements. "

More info at:
http://cas.uoregon.edu/uogetpage.php?page=http://psychweb.uoregon.edu/

Cant provide clinical training? Should i even consider this program if i ultimately want to earn a Psy.D, or perhaps go right to practicing after an MA?

sure doesen't sound like it's the fit for you. if you had a research project you wanted to develop and had the goal of going for a PhD in Psychology (wouldn't have to be clinical) this could be a good stepping stone to get there, and if you already had clinical expereince and wanted to explore your interest in research with your eye on the PhD and had an idea already set out then it may be good too, but for a clinically minded, private practice person, not so much.

U of O has an excellent Counseling Psych program (Ph.D) that would be another way to proceed....

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like a stepping stone M.A. program (with a heavy research focus), with the purpose of putting applicants in a better position for applying to clinical/counseling psych doc programs.

I'm glad they are pretty clear about it, because it be a shame if someone started it, and then later realized it isn't licensable (as it lacks a clinical component and hours).

UO has a great Master's in Couples and Family Therapy program. If you're looking for a "stepping stone" program (i.e., eventually you want to get a Ph.D.) but also want the opportunity to become licensed if the Ph.D. gig doesn't work out, then I'd say CFT program will fill your needs. Plus, via this program, you'll have access to UO's Counseling Psych Ph.D. and Clinical Psych Ph.D. programs - a nice way to familiarize yourself with what Ph.D.-level study entails.

Hope this helps! :)