This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galegriffin

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. Here's a bit of info on me:

University: Texas Tech
Major & Minor: Kinesiology & Psychology
TTU GPA: ~3.7
Community College GPA: ~3.1 (Atteneded before starting school at TTU.)
Cumulative GPA: ~3.5 (TTU and community college GPA combined.)
Pre-req GPA: I don't think I've taken any yet.

I'm a junior. I haven't done any shadowing or anything yet, though I plan to start this summer. I'm currently doing research with the psychology department here, and I'm taking 19 hours right now.

Anyway, I'm kinda stressed out about A&P. My A&P professor here at Tech told me I need an A in A&P to get into an OT program... I dropped the course last semester for personal reasons and am retaking it this semester. I started off strong (making a 104 on the first practical), but I had the flu last week and took the first lecture exam while heavily medicated and exhausted. I'm pretty sure I tanked the exam because of this.

Now, realistically, I will probably make somewhere around an ~88 or ~89 in the course, and there are no B+ grades, only B. This is seriously stressing me out. I'm afraid this will hurt my chances of getting into one of my top OT schools of choice (UT, TTU, Colorado State University, etc.). I wish my professor had never told me I had to have an A. I am an A student, but also suffer from anxiety and depression. This comment only made things worse for me during an already tough semester.

So, does anyone have any words of encouragement for me? Is it true that I have to have an A in A&P? Are my chances of getting into a good school totally blown? Can I relax??? As silly as it sounds, I am losing sleep over this.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into several OT programs and I actually got a B in A&P 1 (actually I got a C the first time around in lab and reel it) and went on to get As I'm A&P 2. From m experience with applying (and I have a lot as I had to apply twice) some schools are more holistic than others, and care about other things than others. It's literally a crap shoot in my opinion until you find the school that fits you, and you fit the school. I had interviews and acceptances at "top ranked" programs and honestly by stats are pretty average, and rejections from "non ranked" schools (honestly not sure if rank is even a factor anymore). OT is more than grades. Anyone can get a 4.0 in the classroom...but does that mean they are compassionate, caring, genuine, authentic, and have all the personality and interpersonal characteristics needed to be a great OT? No. Put in all your effort to creating the best applicztion possible stat and expierence wise, but most importantly, don't lost sight as to why you really wanna be an OT.

I got into several OT programs and I actually got a B in A&P 1 (actually I got a C the first time around in lab and reel it) and went on to get As I'm A&P 2. From m experience with applying (and I have a lot as I had to apply twice) some schools are more holistic than others, and care about other things than others. It's literally a crap shoot in my opinion until you find the school that fits you, and you fit the school. I had interviews and acceptances at "top ranked" programs and honestly by stats are pretty average, and rejections from "non ranked" schools (honestly not sure if rank is even a factor anymore). OT is more than grades. Anyone can get a 4.0 in the classroom...but does that mean they are compassionate, caring, genuine, authentic, and have all the personality and interpersonal characteristics needed to be a great OT? No. Put in all your effort to creating the best applicztion possible stat and expierence wise, but most importantly, don't lost sight as to why you really wanna be an OT.
Sorry for the typo errors. I got my wisdom teeth yanked today and I'm feeling the meds lol

I can tell you right now thought that Colo. state in straight numbers for the most part. If you look on their website it breaks down their little point percentage thing for how they accept students (gpa, gre, prereq gre, and their little CSU specific essay). They don't even look at your personal statement which I find odd and strange and kinda like....uhhhhhh how do you even know what kind of students you're accepting based off their numbers in gre and gpa. Not bad mouthing the program (because that's where I did my undergrad) I just find it interesting compared to schools that are very holistic is nature. So if you wanna go to CSU- kill the gpa and gre.